register for free

Dog News

The dogs that smell breath to monitor Diabetes

...has received 13 comments (page 2)
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2014, 11:15 AM
OMG TW! That's almost unbelievable that a NURSE would not first think of diabetic coma having identified the smell!! I've known only one diabetic in my life and I know it. Medical professionals must all have come in contact with more and anyway they LEARN about it when studying!

You (well and your boy) were very lucky he survived. Obviously one of the healthcare pros (that nurse) who thinks of hapless parents before thinking of anything else.

That's scary.
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-05-2014, 11:16 AM
Don't cry June

I missed supervet, and Loki bless her heart had 8 years in the most wonderful place in the country with the most wonderful loving mum....

As for your boy.... anything like mine
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

08-05-2014, 11:26 AM
Pat, the nurse just sort of moved on and nothing more was said, it was only when he was actually dying and they called the consultant in (he came from a dinner and was still wearing his bow tie) - who luckily for us all was also a diabetic consultant - he quizzed me on exactly everything had been happening and I said how he was always drinking and weeing and his nappies were like sick, and he just sort of banged his head with his hand and said right I'm going to take a big risk here, no time to wait till the lab results are back, all my sons veins had collapsed by then and the only vein he could get to was the one on the side of his ankle, he got pure insulin going in there and then it was a waiting game. My son still has the scar to this day because quite literally it was do or die. Mr Burns saved my sons life. I fell asleep in the parents room, woke up in a panic, ran to where my son had been, he wasn't there, absolutely distraught I ran out, and one of the nurses fielded me and took me to him, he was still in a coma, but there was a pink piece on his cheeks on both sides and within a few hours he was awake.
My then doctor said, when I rang him when the surgery opened to tell him what had happened, babies don't get diabetes so he never even thought of checking for that one.
I changed doctors.
Very many years later my son was in the ward due to his sugar levels dropping far too low and him passing out, rare occurence, we had been swimming and I hadn't got the balance right, one of the nurses said to me she knew all about my son because he was in their training stuff.
Making me cry too much, I've got to go
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-05-2014, 11:27 AM
I think all service dogs are wonderful, especially those who enable people to live normal lives and who would not be able to without their dogs.

Someone posted the following link on the Epi List the other day about a service dog who had been trained as a gluten-detection dog.

http://www.livingstondaily.com/artic...008/1002/rss01
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top