register for free

Dog News

Law is a needless death sentence for dogs - RSPCA

At last! some BSL sense.

Hundreds of dogs are being put down unnecessarily, an animal charity has warned, as it calls for a government law change.

The Dangerous Dogs Act forces police and many animal rescue organisations to put dogs down because of the way they look rather than the danger they pose, the RSPCA says.

The law - which banned the pit bull terrier, Japanese tosa, dogo argentino and fila braziliero breeds based on their physical appearance - was introduced 25 years ago last month.

In the past two years the RSPCA said it had been "forced" to put 366 dogs down under section one of the Act, which covers breed-specific offences.

Launching its report Breed Specific Legislation: A Dog's Dinner, the charity called on the Government to probe the effectiveness of section one, urging it to be repealed completely.

RSPCA dog welfare expert Dr Samantha Gaines said: "The police, the RSPCA and other animal rescue organisations have to deal with the consequences of this flawed law by euthanising hundreds of dogs because legislation is forcing us to due to the way they look, despite being suitable for rehoming.

"Not only is this a huge ethical and welfare issue, it also places significant emotional strain on staff."

http://home.bt.com/news/uk-news/law-...11364078292996

Your comments and views:
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

09-08-2016, 09:48 AM
Have been reading this a few minutes ago. Cannot believe the RSPCA is saying this, they haven't said anything sensible for years either. I'm sure I remember reading someone else had taken over and at last they are doing what they are supposed to do, ensuring the needless destruction of some dogs ceases
Azz
Administrator
Male 

09-08-2016, 01:15 PM
About time the 'animal welfare' charities started speaking out against this ridiculous law!!

Thanks for posting Nippy!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2016, 03:50 PM
I had been thinking the same TW
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

09-08-2016, 04:46 PM
About time it stopped its political stance and did what its supposed to
stephy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-09-2016, 02:52 PM
I am glad somebody is fighting back for those who can't fight for themselves! Breed should not define personality
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

20-09-2016, 04:57 PM
Yes, another thanks to Nippy from me. It is long overdue, let us hope this organisation (No matter what we think of it) will have some influence with the muppets who make our laws.
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-09-2016, 08:01 PM
Personally I think that their supposed change in attitude is a response to public outrage, as regards their politicising of animal welfare and endless string of fruitless prosecutions to help bolster this. I have not the slightest doubt that there is no sincerety in their statements, just a desire to ensure that the donations keep flowing in. They are paying lip-service to ensure their self serving ways can continue.

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top