register for free

Dog News

Call for a ban on people eating dog meat in the UK

About time!!

UK law says that you can't buy or sell dog meat, but if you humanely kill a dog you own, you can eat it.

But there have been calls to make it illegal, including from SNP MP Dr Lisa Cameron who believes the public would be "right behind legislation calling for a ban".
Story: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-45085514

Your comments and views:
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-08-2018, 01:10 PM
I had no idea that this was legal in this country. I do hope that it doesn't go on. I am deeply disturbed and hope that this loophole is closed asap.
Better news today is that there seems to be much parliamentary support for Michael Gove's proposal to increase the max. penalty for animal cruelty from 6 months to 5 years imprisonment.
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-08-2018, 09:27 PM
I had no idea it was legal . How would they classify humanely killing a dog though!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2018, 06:33 AM
Another "ban" that would do ZERO good if put into place but would just make a bunch of stuffy people feel better. Killing and eating other animals is fine but not dogs. I wonder if these same people would stand behind a ban of killing and eating pet snakes?

It is very easy to kill your own pet dog. Strangulation or blunt force trauma to the head are both silent and QUICK. Poison works too but if you are EATING the dog, it's unlikely you want to go that route. A gunshot is too loud and in the UK, mostly impractical anyway.

There's NO WAY to stop people from eating their dogs if they truly want to. Useless ban. Won't deter anybody.
Musher
Dogsey Junior
Male 

27-01-2019, 06:39 PM
In some countries it is unethical to eat beef. In some cultures it is unethical to eat pork. I know some people that do not eat chicken. My culture dictates that we do not eat horse. Some people do not eat any cloven hoofed animals some do not eat single toed animals.
There are a number of people throughout the world that do not eat any meat at all, which by the way are notoriously VitB17 deficient. There are people in the world that eat only meat and meat bi-products.....raw.
I know people that get grossed out when I speak of eating wacask(pronounced wa(like a dogs 'paw') chusk. It's a rodent the size of a cat and lives in the water. It's good source of lean protien and Vis&Mins. It eats water-lily oot, cattail hearts and roots, wikes(wee case) Root and other forbs and herbs found in watery living conditions.

My point is, I do not condemn ppl who eat differently than I. I do however encourage people to eat healthier foods and consume only what they need as opposed to over eating pop and potatoe chips for example. .

All said even though I would surely not make it common practice, if all I had standing between me and starvation was my lead-dog, his spirit would live on in me through his flesh giving me life.

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top