register for free

Dog News

Dog owners lowers early death risk, study finds

We could have told them that for free

On a more serious note, I'm glad they are catching up in terms of the role dogs play on our Microbiome. We pick up transient bacteria, protozoa etc from our dogs which boosts our immune system (transient meaning they are not able to colonise our species). However, this is also a reason why you need to look after the health of your dogs - if they are unhealthy (i.e fed sugar-laden highly processed 'crap' food) then their own immune systems will be weak, meaning they will harbour 'bad bugs' that can be passed on to you.

So it pays to love your dog and take proper care of them

Dog owners have a lower risk of death from cardiovascular disease or other causes, a study of 3.4 million Swedes has found.

The team analysed national registries for people aged 40 to 80, and compared them to dog ownership registers.

They found there was a lower risk of cardiovascular disease in owners of dogs, particularly of hunting breeds.

While owning a dog may help physical activity, researchers said it may be active people who choose to own dogs.

They also said owning a dog may protect people from cardiovascular disease by increasing their social contact or wellbeing, or by changing the owner's bacterial microbiome.

The microbiome is the collection of microscopic species that live in the gut. It's thought a dog may influence its owner's microbiomes as dogs change the dirt in home environments, exposing people to bacteria they may not have encountered otherwise.
Story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-42009932

Your comments and views:
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2017, 05:58 PM
Whilst I agree that it pays to look after and take proper care of our dogs, I think this is the wrong place to debate the rights and wrongs of processed foods.

Back to the research, I also think that the routine that dogs bring into the lives of their owners also plays a part in well-being
Musher
Dogsey Junior
Male 

27-01-2019, 06:55 PM
All that was created comes from Creator.
Humans have a nasty habit of becoming toxic not only to themselves but emanate it.
Canis familiaris familaris(domestic K9/doc) does not do this as a chosen way of life.
The saying,"the more I know people the more I love my dogs." certainly comes to my mind at least 10 times per day.
With what I know and what I've seen here confirming and reaffirming what I know as well as the "new"s I've just recieved from this story and its links. It appears I'm going to live to be a little over 175 years........if I keep my sled dogs and feeding them raw whole meat and fish and my choice of diet......enriched with : maple cream cookies and strong coffee with heavy cream and brown sugar now and then.
Musher
Dogsey Junior
Male 

27-01-2019, 07:02 PM
As for doggie health/diet..... I believe anytime anywhere is a good time to mention/discuss/point out this important subject.
Call me a stickler......
That said I absolutely agree that routine and physical activity around caring for our K9's is beneficial to us and our K9's. The healthier our K9's are reflects on the caregiver ...or more 'as per my experience/observation'.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2019, 10:34 PM
Hi Musher!! Nice to hear you are still out there ... how are your pack? xx

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top