register for free

Dog News

Woman 'chasing dog on M4' hit by van near Cardiff dies

So sad

A woman has died after it is believed she was hit by a van while chasing a dog on the M4 near Cardiff.

The Welsh Ambulance Service said it responded to reports a pedestrian was struck as they ran into the carriageway after a dog that had got loose.

The incident happened at about 18:20 BST near Cardiff Gate and the woman was pronounced dead at the scene.

The motorway remains closed westbound between junctions 29 and 32 as police investigate.

Motorists have been told to avoid the area and traffic is being diverted onto the A48M at junction 29.
Story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-s...wales-39532668

Tributes: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-s...wales-39537616

Your comments and views:
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2017, 06:38 AM
How tragic. Poor lady ... in those circumstances I would most likely have done exactly the same thing. On the spur of the moment, we all act instinctively and my instinct would have been to grab my dog.

Do we know if the van driver is OK and the dog? The poor van driver must be traumatised, and I hope is OK and anyone else involved.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-04-2017, 10:14 AM
Agree Gnasher, poor lady. I have once or twice seen dogs running on the motorway, and we have nearly had a bust up because my OH refused to stop for them - I'm sure he would do if it was one of ours though.
Our dogs travel in a tailgated compartment, but OH does worry about ever needing to get to the spare wheel in an emergency, it only takes a mis-handled moment to end in disaster.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

08-04-2017, 08:09 PM
The dog died too. Here's more on the story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-s...wales-39537616

Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-04-2017, 08:24 PM
Very sad story.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

08-04-2017, 08:30 PM
Someone passed me today, with a yorkie loose in the front passenger seat, window wide open. Accident waiting to happen that was. I wish people would think about consequences. All it needed was for it to decide to jump out after my dogs (onlead) and that would have been that
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2017, 08:43 PM
True. I saw something that really annoys me today. We were in Ilkestone, near Derby, picking up our new leather seats for our caravan and we were driving round the Derby ring road to go to Repton. It was all very busy with traffic flying around in all directions. We stopped for some pedestrian lights that had turned red, and there was a woman crossing with 2 labs - one black, one brown. The black one was off lead - WHY?? I don't care how obedient the dog is, how good he is, how he never chases cats, other dogs, whatever - there is always that one time when the dog is unpredictable because of some extreme circumstance and bang - a dead or seriously injured dog, a traumatised driver - maybe even a seriously injured or dead driver - and a bereaved owner. It is just not worth it - I don't care how reliable your dog is, put it on a lead when walking on pavements and roads!
Bulldogs4Life
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-04-2017, 02:21 AM
Oh my I initially read this as "woman chasing dog with M4" I was thinking what a psychotic lady, then I reread after clicking to open the news thread. It is sad and unfortunate event.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2017, 03:58 PM
Walking dogs near busy roadways isn't a good idea. Chasing after one into a busy roadway is an even worse idea.

Result - both dead. Unsurprising. Still sad though.

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top