register for free

Dog News

Is it okay to eat dogs?

Video story about calls for bans of the Yulin festival in China where thousands of dogs are slaughtered for meat - protestors say many are pets

Video: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-36590931

Your comments and views:
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2016, 07:27 PM
No, I don't think it is ... dogs are primarily carniverous and I would think it therefore inadvisable for us as omnivores to eat them. Carnivores do not routinely eat other carnivores or animals with carnivorous habits.

Then we have the moral issues - personally, I think it is morally wrong to eat a companion animal such as a dog or a horse. These animals have proved themselves to be our loyal companions for thousands of years and it should not sit comfortably with us to eat them routinely.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-07-2016, 09:24 PM
This is a disgusting trade. Whether these dogs are raised by dog 'famers', or are snatched pets - as evidenced by the pathetic discarded collars - the conditions of slaughter are horrific. Dogs are stored and transported in cramped rusting cages, and are brutally killed within the sight of others.
This year, the mayor of Yulin raised hopes by accepting a petition signed by well over a million people - many of them Chinese - but the festival continues. The various rescue organisations can only negotiate for a percentage of these poor dogs. The only permanent way forward is to keep up the pressure for this festival to cease.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2016, 07:16 AM
Originally Posted by CaroleC View Post
This is a disgusting trade. Whether these dogs are raised by dog 'famers', or are snatched pets - as evidenced by the pathetic discarded collars - the conditions of slaughter are horrific. Dogs are stored and transported in cramped rusting cages, and are brutally killed within the sight of others.
This year, the mayor of Yulin raised hopes by accepting a petition signed by well over a million people - many of them Chinese - but the festival continues. The various rescue organisations can only negotiate for a percentage of these poor dogs. The only permanent way forward is to keep up the pressure for this festival to cease.
Sadly all true Carole - but it is little better for our farm animals - often they are not stunned properly before death, they are fully aware of what is going on and are killed within sight and smell of their fellow beasts. I don't think we should be hypocritical here, but the only difference in my mind that dogs are companion animals to humans and therefore it is totally wrong to slaughter them for food.
Julientreats
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-07-2016, 04:23 AM
For me, its not good to eat dogs. I can't even imagine doing it. But , I know some people manage to eat their dogs and even serves as their appetizers while having an alcohol drink like beer.
Ms. M
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-07-2016, 05:16 AM
Eat dogs means you are crazy! Because dog's is made to be treated with care and love by human god made us a unlimited supply of foods and animal that we can eat! They say if we eat dogs the temperature of our body is going high I know because the bacteria or meat worms of dogs meat is not gone even if we cook it! I don't know why they do this to dog those kind of people is not a human for me tsk tsk I think if we eat dog were like a cannibal because dog is like a human for me. And sometimes they are much good as a human.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2016, 10:03 AM
I totally agree Mrs M - to eat a companion animal is tantamount in my mind to being a cannibal. You make a good point too about parasites - we can become contaminated with the same types of parasite that worms suffer from - hence the reason we pick up dog feces, or should do.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2016, 12:30 PM
Oops sorry!! That should have said ... the same types of parasite that DOGS suffer from!!
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-07-2016, 12:35 PM
The publicity around the Yulin Festival, although the most notorious dog eating event, can disguise the fact that the dog does form a normal part of the diet in several Asian cultures.
As the result of a recent petition to HM Government, on the 12th. September 2016, our parliament is to discuss whether to make representation to the Government of South Korea expressing their concern about the eating of dogs.
I just hope that it comes to a firmer conclusion than the debate about fireworks did!
Ms. M
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-07-2016, 03:59 AM
Hope the world government can show some sympathy about this situation in china! Hope they are good as an old man that I see lately in [a social network] he lives in china and he adopt a 50,000 dog if i'm not mistaken. That old man have a big heart to a dog and if I see him I will give him a fund to support him from what his doing but sad to hear that there are so many bad people in china hope that old man can lived longer because I don't really know what happen to the thousand of dogs that he adopt.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top