register for free

Dog News

Dog put to sleep after suffering burns – calls to license groomers

The owner of a grooming salon and a groomer were both found guilty of causing unnecessary suffering to an animal under the Animal Welfare act. This comes after a dog had to be put to sleep when it suffered "terrible” burns at a salon in Grays, Essex. Dusty, a 12-year-old Lhasa Apso, had been left unattended in a small crate under an industrial hairdryer by unqualified groomer Victoria Ellis, who went to answer the telephone, forgetting about Dusty.

Basildon Magistrates' Court heard how salon owner Jaqueline Ward, who was not at the salon at time of the incident, advised Dusty's owners to put some cream on the “small burn” but Dusty had to be taken to a vets and suffered shock from the burns. When his condition deteriorated, his owners had to take the decision to have him put to sleep. The vet said most of his body and sides were red, swollen and very warm. An expert vet said he would have suffered and could not escape from the heat.

Ward and Ellis, who were both unqualified dog groomers when Dusty was treated, were each fined £1000, given 120 hours of community service and ordered to pay £250 of compensation to Dusty's owners.

RSPCA inspector Lewis Taylor said: “This was a horrific case which could so easily have been prevented had Dusty not been left unattended. Although such cases aren't deliberate, owners entrust the care of their beloved animals to dog groomers and deserve to know they are leaving their pet in safe hands.

"Although Ward was not there when the incident happened, business owners do have a duty to ensure that animals do not suffer whilst in the care of their staff."

This is the fourth case of a dog being burned by a dryer at a grooming salon in two years and the RSPCA is calling for the grooming industry to be licensed.

Your comments and views:
Azz
Administrator
Male 

15-01-2013, 04:26 PM
Poor Dusty £1,000 fine doesn't seem like much does it..
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2013, 05:47 PM
Poor Dusty, and this isn't the first dog I've read about this horrendous trauma Remember that stupid woman who put the tarpaulin behind the crate which burnt that little spaniel to death I cannot for the life of me believe that dog grooming is NOT licenced!!!!! WHY isn't it??? Let's hope this makes them see the light and get this kind of business under proper licence grrrrrrr
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2013, 08:42 PM
Poor little Dusty
malwhit
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-01-2013, 01:14 PM
I was talking to my neighbour earlier today and said that all dog groomers should be licensed.

I found a local dog groomer and have used her twice and she has made a good job of the dogs at a fair price. However I was concerned when I arrived to collect them on the second trip. As I opened the door I had to prevent a small dog escaping and walked in to see my dogs tied to the legs of a grooming table with a terrier tied on top. Leo was on his hind legs tormenting the terrier. At the back of the room was a mastiff tied on top of another table, and I thought how easily it would be for it to hang itself if it slipped.

When I got home I started thinking about all the possibilities that could have happened and decided not to use her again. A few cages and dog/baby gates would not cost a fortune and could prevent possible escapees, dog fights or even deaths.
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2013, 09:06 PM
The groomers in this instance, were totally stupid. The set up they had was totally stupid. WHY create a make shift drier and leave it unattended?!!

For what it is worth, many proper dog drying cages/cabinets are quite safe (unlike the make shift ones!), and many have thermostats and timers as well as suitable air vents to ensure that dogs do not overheat, burn or die.

As one of many dog groomers out there, the vast majority have health and safety rules/regs in place and use common sense to ensure this kind of thing, among other kinds of accidents/incidents do not happen; Not all are qualified, but they have insurance, and are damn good at what they do, many of whom are also known within the dog world for showing or working their dog(s). Sadly it is always the small minority who ruin the reps of others within an industry.

While I do agree that all dog groomers should have some sort of training/qualification and be insured prior to starting a business, how will it be monitored to ensure 'rogue groomers' are kept at bay?
And whats there to stop people having a qualification of some sort (City&Guilds for example) and not doing something stupid like creating their own make shift drier afterwards or, having a qualification and not have enough experience within their chosen industry?
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2013, 09:09 PM
Forgot to add, not everyone can afford to train for the qualifications (+ equipment + insurance), but are very talented dog grooming, what is the alternative then?
kchickygirl
New Member!
Female 

29-06-2013, 01:05 AM
My dogs have always been done by myself. No one knows how to treat my dogs better than myself. I hear too many sad stories and I would never want to be the owner on the end of one of these.

She is my partner in crime we go, and do almost everything together. She's a rescue, and I figure she did not ask to be born.So the least I can do, is give her a good life while she is with me and total love and respect.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2013, 05:23 AM
I am gobsmacked! To read that they might have to be licensed in future - I can't believe they don't already have to be licensed? Let loose with what have the potential to be dangerous weapons - scissors, blades etc. on live animals and ANYONE can set up in business doing it?
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2013, 10:36 AM
That is dreadfull I feelso sorry for the owners.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top