register for free

Dog News

Dog owners warned to control pets to help cut sheep deaths

Two reports on the same subject.

DOG walkers are being warned to keep their pets on a lead on open access land in an attempt to cut the number of sheep deaths. The National Trust has issued a seasonal reminder for owners to keep tight control of their dogs during lambing season.

Farmers say even the chasing of sheep can cause exhaustion and stillbirths.
On open access land dogs have to be kept on short leads from March 1 to July 31.
http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/new..._sheep_deaths/

300 dog attacks on livestock in Wales in three years

Dogs were responsible for more than 300 attacks on farm livestock in Wales in the last three years, according to police figures.

The data, released under the Freedom of Information Act, showed Powys had the most dog attacks, with a total of 93 from January 2011 to December 2013, followed by Pembrokeshire at 45.
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-27150198

Should farmers put up more signs?

Your comments and views:
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2014, 09:16 AM
Well this question of farmers and their livestock and dogs keeps on coming up for discussion on here.

My views are that ALL should abide by the relevant laws. Dog owners should abide by the laws relating to keeping their dogs under control. Farmers should abide by whatever laws are in place relating to what measures they can and should take to keep their livestock safe.

If the law isn't covering it to anyone's satisfaction - they should be campaigning to get the laws changed.

Very long discussion on the subject here:
Farmers - should they be allowed to kill your dog?
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-04-2014, 09:37 AM
I am aware that there was a long discussion on Dogsey, but these two news articles have just been posted in the media, not on Dogsey.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2014, 10:39 AM
I think as I believe I said on that thread people should keep their dogs on leads around sheep and any other animals. If you love your dog just keep it on a lead it may save it's life. And as an animal lover you should be aware that sheep are living creatures too and need to be protected from our predators.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2014, 02:27 PM
Agree Julie and I too expressed just about everything I've got to say on that long thread too. No point in repeating it here just because some other dog related site has an article on the subject. The subject is regularly discussed with regard to whether farmers should be allowed to shoot dogs who worry livestock. And it is repeated over and over that damage can be done without the dog PHYSICALLY ATTACKING the livestock. The law is quite clear on the subject.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

26-04-2014, 11:22 PM
Thanks for posting Malka. I'd love to know more about the attacks (how serious they are etc) - the numbers seem high.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-04-2014, 07:57 AM
Just out of curiosity Tang, since when is a UK newspaper reporting a National Trust statement, and the BBC Online News, "dog related sites"?
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2014, 08:02 AM
Oh for gawds sake lets not turn this into another spat. I'm getting fed up with it.
As heart broken as I would be if a dog of mine was shot, my sympathies would lie with the farmer. It is my responsibility to control my dog.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2014, 09:13 AM
Agree Nippy, we are responsible for what our dogs do sadly some people are not so careful.

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top