register for free

Dog News

Family Pitbull bites 5yr old in his home

Pet dog ‘stabbed’ after biting Walsall boy, aged five
A pitbull is believed to have been stabbed after it attacked a five-year-old boy in his Walsall home.
http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2...boy-aged-five/

I can only assume that this 'pitbull' must have been on some 'exemption' list? They are banned breed in UK. Dog was put down.

Must say it did surprise me to read the statistics at the end of this article that state ...

Latest figures released by Health and Social Care Information Centre show there were a total of 323 people who required urgent medical treatment between February 2013 and January 2014 as a result of a bite or strike by a dog in the region.
that's a hell of a lot of people attacked by dogs in just one region in just one year.

Your comments and views:
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-05-2014, 08:50 AM
I found the story a bit odd tbh, the police carried out door to door enquiries asking if there was a large dog at the address where the attack took place. They knew there was because they'd found it injured there, seems bizarre to me, they just seemed to be spreading fear and gossip.
As for the statistics I think they record all dog bites these days, I know Iain was questioned when he went to the doctors for antibiotics after breaking up a dog fight and having a tooth graze that became swollen and infected.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2014, 10:11 AM
Just been reading another article Trouble where it states that statistics show THREE TIMES the number of dog attacks requiring hospital treatment in 'deprived areas' than elsewhere. I will find it.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2014, 10:20 AM
Dog bites: hospital admissions in most deprived areas three times as high as least deprived

http://www.hscic.gov.uk/article/4722...least-deprived

An article here in the Independent about the statistics that mentions a study
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...s-9283266.html

Dr Simon Harding, a lecturer in criminology at the University of Middlesex and author of Unleashed: The Phenomena of Status Dogs and Weapons Dogs, said he wasn’t “surprised” by the figures.

He said, “Deprived areas are often more populous with larger families, more children, more pets and more people living in closer proximity to each other and dogs. Also dogs tend to be exercised in public, rather than in gardens or remote fields.

“At the same time people in poorer areas use dogs for protection, instead of alarms or house insurance and there is an underlying trend towards the use of aggressive Pit Bull-type breeds as weapon or status dogs.”

According to the HSCIC report there were 1,240 admissions to hospital for bites and strikes in the 10 per cent most deprived areas out of total figures of 9,710 admissions across the country – an increase of over seven per cent on the previous 12 months.

Worryingly for campaigners the figures, for the year to January 2014, also show that children suffer most from dog bites, with more injuries to their head than any other age group.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

20-05-2014, 10:56 AM
Well I don't know why he was surprised tbh I thought his findings were a bit obvious as dogs are more likely to be free roaming, there does tend to be more kids in deprived areas and they're easy targets. I didn't get the bit about the dogs from deprived areas are more likely to be exercised in public Doh We all exercise our dogs in public unless we have many acres to call our own. Without trying to stigmatise anyone I think the difference is we control our dogs when walking and in deprived areas they roam. Is it really any different to there being more knife crime in deprived areas or the one that always surprises me is more burglaries, I don't see the point of nicking off people who have very little.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2014, 11:10 AM
Trouble I just looked that 'study' up and seems it's more of a book he's written?

It doesn't get very good reception on account of being slated for him seeming to be an advocate for dangerous dogs and the 'sort of' people who often want to own them.

No intention of reading through much about it as not only does it not get good reviews it's an horrendous £13+ even for the Kindle edition!

Yours very cheapskatedly
Tang!
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2014, 04:04 PM
There has been a lot of attacks in the Birmingham area and as a result they have brought in new rules about dogs being on leads when in a public place.
Not that the above would have helped an attack in a home. Poor lad.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

21-05-2014, 04:10 PM
The BBC article did not mention anything about a book.

Dog bites highest in deprived areas

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-27140777
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2014, 04:29 PM
Read my post again Malka. I stated that the INDEPENDENT mentioned the 'study' / book not the BBC.

Can't see what your comment adds to the discussion anyway?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

21-05-2014, 04:32 PM
Makes no odds I still think the findings should not be surprising to anyone. I think sometimes they just speak to fill up space as in young children suffer bites to the head and teenagers ans adults to the hands. Talk about obvious which is nearer the dogs mouth?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top