register for free

Dog News

Birmingham's new rules for dog owners

What are Birmingham's new rules for dog owners?

Tough new Dog Control orders are being introduced in Birmingham from tomorrow, with the threat of a £1,000 fine and prosecution for dog owners who don't comply.

The new rules are:
  • It will be an offence to fail to remove faeces forthwith from any land to which the public have access.
  • This order will replace and extend the existing controls under the Dogs (Fouling of Land) Act 1996.
  • It will be an offence to fail to ensure that a dog is kept on a lead at all times on all public roads, adjoining footways and verges.
  • It will be an offence for a person in charge of a dog to permit the dog to enter into or remain in any clearly demarcated children’s play area, and school land.
  • It will be an offence to fail to put that dog on a lead when directed to do so by an authorised officer on any land to which the public have access and is open to the air.
  • It will be an offence for a person to take more than four dogs onto open land in Birmingham.
Last one is important for people with dog walking businesses. I've seen some walking up to 12 dogs together (all off lead) let's face it pretty impossible to have that many on their leads.

Twenty thousand fliers warning dog owners about the new dog control orders were printed in mid January, but so far only 6000 have been put up around Birmingham.

The council says they've been delayed by the bad weather. Most dog walkers ITV Central spoke to today were not aware of the tougher new laws.

They'll be enforceable from tomorrow and carry a maximum £1000 fine.

Your comments and views:
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-03-2014, 05:41 PM
Well the top 4 bullet points I have no issue with but the
5th You'd hope they have good reason but no doubt some jobsworth would order every dog they encountered to be put on lead. The last one would mean I would always have to have another adult with me even though my dogs have never caused anyone any problem ever. I couldn't care less about dog walkers all the ones I encounter are rubbish and have no control whatsoever over the dogs they walk.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2014, 07:06 PM
Ditto to your comment about the walkers I've experienced. All of them were down in Devon. They used to make Babbacombe Downs a 'no go' area at times. And hell do they 'pick up' after their Luton Van full of dogs (they'd need eyes up their proverbials to even SEE where half of them pood!) Walking my friendly and totally non aggressive Cavvy - see them pull up and scarper sharpish. However much they might consider themselves 'dogwise' - no way can you know how each and every one of those dogs you've not owned or lived with will REACT to any given situation. And some dogs who are always FINE on their own will react differently when in a pack.

I know there must be some responsible ones. In fact I had a tenant who walked dogs for about 3 people who worked down in Newlyn. But she didn't take them all out together and they got the sort of walks I gave my own dog. Collected and taken down on the beach for half hour or so. Taken back and next one collected. You couldn't earn a living doing that but she had a small cottage industry business she worked from home - loved dogs - couldn't have one of her own. I'd rather pay a responsible teenage kid to walk any dog of mine if it ever came to it.

Regarding those points.
No.1 I thought it ALREADY WAS an offence not to pick up after your dog?
No.2 - no problem with that whatsoever. I NEVER let my dog off lead anywhere near traffic.
No.3 Kiddy playgrounds - again no problem and I have no problem with a ban on designated tourist beaches either.
No.4 If directed to do something by someone who is authorised to direct you - you'd have to be a blerdy IDIOT not to comply! Whether you think it is 'fair' or not. Not just in relation to dogs - to all sorts of things.

I see it like this. Responsible dog owners will either just comply or complain through the proper channels. Irresponsible dog owners won't give a fig what the law says.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2014, 08:28 PM
I agree with all of the new regulations but do feel that the last one should only apply to people walking dogs that don't belong to them ..... it should specifically apply to 'professional' dog walkers. Should an owner walking more than four of their own dogs not have control of them, presumably the new rule "It will be an offence to fail to put that dog on a lead when directed to do so by an authorised officer on any land to which the public have access and is open to the air", could be enforced if the owner doesn't have control of them.
I wish they'd bring those rules in near me as I frequently come across 'professional' dog walkers walking 7+ dogs off lead none of whom appear to have any control over them.

It will be interesting to see how Birmingham will be able to police all the new regulations.
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-03-2014, 08:48 PM
Sounds all quite fair.
I can't believe anyone would walk 12 dogs at the same time! That's just insane.. even the best behaved dogs can cause trouble and with 12 it's impossible to keep an eye on!
No insurance will cover dog walkers to walk more than 6 dogs at a time. The company I work for normally walks about 3-5 per group, and 6 only if the group is a really easy one that is known to get along. We don't do ad-hoc bookings either so all the dogs know each other and the walkers and are regulars. I'd like to think that we're one of the more responsible companies. I've certainly heard horror stories of dogwalkers where dogs got into fights, ran off and disappeared and attacked other dogs. Not nice at all.. I guess we'll see how it works out in Birmingham, maybe they'll start introducing this elsewhere.

PS: I saw a man and his son with their massive Lab the other day, and she did a poo in the middle of the park and they just stood by and then walked off.. Great example that man is!
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2014, 08:51 PM
They were doing so well until the one about open spaces and only having 4 dogs
Azz
Administrator
Male 

27-03-2014, 09:01 PM
Last two sound a bit daft tbh - some people might be out in the sticks with their dogs who may need coaxing to be put on a lead - the whole reason for going where few people go to begin with.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2014, 11:16 PM
Well if you think that's unreasonable about the number of dogs you can walk etc... how about the latest from Cyprus - limiting the number of dogs you can OWN given WHERE you live?

Apartment - 1 medium sized dog
House in urban areas - 2
House in rural area - 4!!!!!!

This has those people who've 'rescued' more than 4 dogs and live outside town with plenty of space up in arms.

If they start enforcing it - many dogs who are now being cared for properly will be back out on the streets.

As per usual - target those who CARE FOR THEIR DOGS and ignore the wider problem.

And those who don't care for their dogs properly won't give a flying wotsit about any new laws or rules. Coz they don't chip or register them anyway.
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-03-2014, 11:01 AM
The actual Dog Control Order itself is in much more detail and much bigger, most of the orders pertain to public land so anything that doesn't belong to the council won't come under the order.

http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/straydogs

Most councils have a dog control order in place on their land for multiple dogs it's just that you need to go on their website to find them!

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top