register for free

Dog News

In dogs’ play, researchers see honesty and deceit, perhaps something like morality

Who already knew this :

Watch a couple of dogs play, and you’ll probably see seemingly random gestures, lots of frenetic activity and a whole lot of energy being expended. But decades of research suggest that beneath this apparently frivolous fun lies a hidden language of honesty and deceit, empathy and perhaps even a humanlike morality.

All of this suggests that dogs have a kind of moral code — one long hidden to humans until a cognitive ethologist named Marc Bekoff began to crack it.
Read here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...2ea_story.html

Your comments and views:
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-05-2014, 05:45 PM
That was a very interesting article although I am sure that we all know that our own dogs are extremely clever and have empathy with and towards us. But then, of course, we are biased towards the dogs that share our lives.

However, the comment that dogs could understand human pointing while chimpanzees could not surprised me slightly, as I had always thought that chimpanzees understood sign language.

I know that people with a deaf dog use sign language to "talk" to their dogs, and I use quite a bit myself with Pereg, but somehow I had thought that chimpanzees would also understand it.

The article shows that I was wrong though.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2014, 06:05 PM
That's a good point, Malka.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

25-05-2014, 08:27 PM
Agree... we already knew this While chimps are clever, they are less likely to know human language and gestures such as pointing (with fingers, or eyes) because they haven't lived by our side long enough - or at least that was my understanding of it.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

25-05-2014, 09:17 PM
quote "perhaps even a humanlike morality" what a pompus arrogant remark, typical of the academic research snob who thinks he/she knows it all. Maybe there are some humans who have a canninelike morality but they sure don't exist in the unniversities and research establishments of this world.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-05-2014, 09:33 PM
I cannot see that dogs can have any actual morality at all - instinct yes, morality? I do not think so.

Accepted that dogs do know if they have done something they should not have done, but are they aware that it was wrong? No. They just know that they should not have done it, which is not really the same thing. Knowing right from wrong needs cognitive ability and is not the same as, say, a dog taking some food from a counter when they know that they should not have done so.

They do not know that it is wrong - they just know that they should not have done it. To know it is wrong is to have the cognitive ability to understand the difference between right and wrong.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2014, 10:55 PM
Morality is a fascinating concept. In effect, just like dogs, we learn right from wrong because of what we are taught from babies.

We teach our dogs what they should and shouldn't do. It has a number of similarities

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top