register for free

Dog News

Anniversary of the death of loyal Hachiko

This month marks 77 years since the death of Hachiko, the loyal Akita Inu who waited at Shibuya train station, Japan, every day for years for his deceased owner, Professor Hidesamuro Ueno, to return – according to some sources, the anniversary of his death may actually be today, 8 March.

Professor Hidesamuro Ueno moved to Tokyo in 1924 to work in the agriculture department at the University, bringing Hachiko with him. Every evening, Hachiko, who had lived with the Professor since 1923, would greet his beloved owner from work at the train station. One day, after a year and a half of this routine, the Professor never returned, having died after suffering a stroke.

Hachiko apparently ran away when other homes were found for him and continued to wait at the station for the Professor at the same time every day for nearly 10 years, until he was found dead on the streets.

He had become well known nationally because of his faithfulness and people would leave food and water for him. A year before his death, a bronze statue of him was erected at the station. His remaines were stuffed and mounted and put on display at the National Science Museum of Japan.

In 2011, researchers determined that the cause of his death had been down to cancer and a worm infestation. Every year, on April 8th, people come to Tokyo's Shibuya railroad station to honour Hachiko's memory and loyalty.

Your comments and views:
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2012, 09:33 PM
Amazing story, I've seen the film with Richard Gere & it made me sob!
twilightwolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-03-2012, 09:47 PM
amazing amazing tale. Makes me cry everytime. One day i want to go to tokyo and i want to make seeing this statue one of my number 1 priorities.

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top