register for free

Dog News

Revealed – the man who stripped to his underwear to save his dog

The man who stripped to his pants and crawled across ice to rescue his dog has agreed his action was dangerous and does not recommend anyone else does the same, but says he did it because he could not stand by and watch a “precious family member” die.

Malcolm Jarvis of Bradfield explained that his four-year-old dog, Bentley, fell through the ice after chasing ducks. It all happened around two minutes into the walk.

“I saw him becoming more and more distressed,” he said, “and had to make a decision.” He didn't call the emergency services but believed that Bentley would have died if he'd had to wait for them to arrive.

“We were watching his little head sink lower and lower in the water and he was getting tired and slowing down because of the cold. I was thinking, “We're going to lose the dog – he's going to die”. I couldn't let that happen.”

Mr Jarvis said he stripped off because he knew he'd be in the water. He said the ice gave way after 15 feet but he was able to grab Bentley and swim back to the edge of firmer ice. “I would not recommend everybody else takes the same action,” he said. “It's just at the moment you don't think.”

Mrs Jarvis said: “When you don't own a dog, you just think “crazy people", but they are a part of the family. Some may criticise and some may call him a hero. He's definitely our hero.”

The family have vowed to keep Bentley on a lead in future.

Watch Mr Jarvis speaking about the incident here:

Read the original story here:
http://www.dogsey.com/dog-news.php?t=163973

Your comments and views:
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2012, 09:48 AM
Such a brave man and at the end of the day wouldn't we all have done the same...... except there is no way anyone is going to see me in my knickers
Azz
Administrator
Male 

16-02-2012, 02:51 PM
He's certainly a hero in my eyes
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2012, 05:37 PM
had i crawled out on the ice there would have been reports of a whale stranded in land !! LOL

I actually think he was very brave and obviously had some consideration as realised he was going to end up in water so thought to take his clothes off first..

YOu just act not necessarily think it all through though.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

16-02-2012, 09:06 PM
A dog will always try to save a pack member if they able, they are not blessed with the same ability as humans 'tho. I think the man was brave but did what had to be done, nice to see the devotion returned.
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2012, 09:28 PM
You do what you do at the time don't you? if you stopped to think about these things you probably wouldn't do them. Thank goodness his family didn't lose him.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2012, 10:40 PM
The man got slated on the news by a fireman who said he risked his own life wasting their time and people should think before carrying out such careless acts Excuse me?!

I'd definately have sent my fella in!
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-02-2012, 11:33 AM
He did think. He knew he'd get wet, thought he could cope & took a calculated risk.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2012, 07:02 PM
Malcom Jarvis is going to be on the One Show later.

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top