register for free

Dog News

Rescued Weimaraner to Show at Westminster (USA's biggest dog show)

Maverick, an AKC registered Weimaraner is all set to go to Westminster, the USA's equivalent of Crufts. He was acquired via Craigslist two years ago after a friend told Dan Stallings (who founded the Mid-Atlantic Weimaraner Rescue) about the ad. "Maverick was in horrid condition. He was 25lbs underweight, all ribs, spine and hips protruding, he had a staff infection on his nose, a pressure sore on his chest, his nails were grotesquely long, and his paws and tail were raw from self mutilation."

Not only has Maverick overcome those obstacles, but has gone on to earn prestigious awards, invitations and entry to some very exclusive events. "Within 7 months of taking him in, caring for him, exercising his mind and body and getting him ready for the show ring, he earned his Champion title. Within another 8 months he earned his Grand Champion title."

Dan goes on to say "I hope that his story might help the unenlightened to see that rescue dogs are not just a bunch of misfits with behavior issues. Sometimes they are just poor souls who had the misfortune of having the wrong owners." ...and we couldn't agree more - Go Maverick!

Story brought to our attention by MerlinsMum.

Your comments and views:
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2012, 07:26 PM
What a nice story, a happy ending for a change
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2012, 03:54 AM
That's just brilliant!
Pawsonboard
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-02-2012, 09:21 AM
Wow!! What a stunning boy
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2012, 10:26 AM
Fantastic - I hope Maverick does really well.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-02-2012, 10:32 AM
I have never been into the beauty pageant side of life myself, and that sort of picture of a dog getting sized up in that manner has always made me feel peplexed and/or turned off (I get the same reaction when i see miss world or mr universe or suchlike), but i am still really pleased a neglected dog ends up in a good home with an owner so dedicated she would put in such a supreme effort required to reach such a level.....

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top