register for free

Dog News

The Hannah Foundation launches in Australia - a sanctuary for orphaned dogs

The Hannah Foundation, the first of its kind in Australia, has recently been set up in Forth. For those of you who remember Lesley Bruce (aka ShadowBoxer) the foundation has been named after her Boxer, Hannah. In fact it was her story that inspired Lesley's friend Rita Lynd to start the foundation.

The aim of the not-for-profit Foundation is to provide a sanctuary for orphaned dogs whose owners have made provisions for their future care in their will. The dogs will spend the rest of their life at the sanctuary living in a home-style environment. There will be no fostering out and no rehoming.

Hannah's story is particularly poignant:

Hannah is an elderly boxer dog.

When she was nine years old, her devoted owner unexpectedly died at his home. It was four days before the pair was discovered, with Hannah steadfastly sitting by her late owners side. Attempts to remove her from the scene by a close friend were met with much anguish-this dog was severely traumatised.

In this case, Hannah was taken into care by a person she knew well. Better still, this person (experienced dog trainer, Rita Lynd) knew just how to help. Hannah got back on her feet - physically and emotionally. Even so, it took more than six months for Hannah to begin to enjoy life again.

Hannah's story has let to the establishment to The Hannah Foundation INC - a group dedicated to ensuring that dogs whose owners pass away have sanctuary to see out their days in comfort and care.

Dog owners who are in need of someone to care for their pet in the event of their death may choose to make a bequest to The Hannah Foundation INC, which would fund ongong personal care and medical expenses for the life of their dog.

You can view more details about the sanctuary here: http://www.hannahcaninesanctuary.org.au/

I think The Hannah Foundation might be a hot contender for the selected charity in our annual fund-raising event, which we do through our Dogsey Calendar community project.

Your comments and views:
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2012, 06:12 PM
Thats a brilliant idea. i'd support it.

rune
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2012, 06:19 PM
this makes me cry again thinking about Lesley and her hubby and the sadness to befall Hannah in a relatively short period of time.

I think Lesley and hubby would be so so proud of their dear friend for doing this and she is a real treasure.

If only every dog had this as a fallback when their loving owners pass on.

Lovely to see a picky of Hannah too... Are we in contact with Rita Azz could we link her this to tell her what a star she really is.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2012, 06:23 PM
Just lovely. I still miss SB
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2012, 06:24 PM
I think that is a great idea Azz Sadly ShadowBoxer passed away before I joined Dogsey but I have read many of her excellent posts and articles. She was obviously a very special lady and I think it speaks volumes that she is still remembered, with so much affection, by so many on here.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2012, 06:31 PM
So sad but I'm so glad Hannah is so loved.

Lovely idea, Azz.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2012, 06:33 PM
Lovely idea,

I wish them every success and I'm sure Lesley and her hubby would be extremely proud.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2012, 08:23 PM
What a lovely idea! I never knew Shadowboxer but i'm sure she would be really proud of the foundation and what it is trying to achieve.

And definitely could be a good choice for our charity for the Calendar this year.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-02-2012, 01:45 PM
Tha Hannah Foundation sounds a great idea.

Would definitely be a good charity for the calendar. Shadowboxer, Hannah and not forgetting Jackson were a big part of Dogsey in the early days.

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top