register for free

Dog News

Guard dog entices passers-by into playing fetch

A guard dog from Canton, Cardiff who gets passers-by to play fetch with him has caught the eye of a writer and film-maker. The dog, a two-and-a-half-year-old German Shepherd puppy called Mr Dog, is a guard dog at M&R Decorators' Supplies and described as a “fantastic little local celebrity"!

Writer Si Stratton became intrigued by Mr Dog on his journey to work in the morning. Walking past the yard, he described how a tennis ball appeared in front of him. “The ball came out, I looked over and saw a dog with his puppy-dog eyes so I threw it back for him and after he caught it, he pushed it out under the gates again,” said Mr Stratton. “He lines the ball up carefully and pushes it out.”

After watching Mr Dog's antics with other passers-by, Mr Stratton, the winner of an award for his screen writing, uploaded a YouTube video of Mr Dog with his ball.

Mr Stratton was keen to point out that Mr Dog has a warm place to go to and plenty of food and water but loves to chase the ball. He said that Sundays are the best days to see Mr Dog.

He now has an idea for a film and is inviting anyone who would like to appear in it, to record themselves throwing the ball for Mr Dog and upload it in response to his YouTube video or send the link to mrdoginbox@gmail.com.

Your comments and views:
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2012, 11:11 AM
My parents neighbour had a yorkie that would do this, you'd be there for hours but if you ever went back that way there'd be a ball in the middle of the path and a little nose poking out waiting for someone to throw it Who says dogs aren't clever..
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2012, 11:22 AM
What a lovely story! I have a GSP who does this to complete strangers out on our walks...and it works so well even with non-doggy people!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2012, 12:00 PM
Yes - Daisy often chooses a victim (usually male because they`re a soft touch if you`re blonde) and trains him to play with her.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2012, 12:06 PM
Aww what a lovely boy. I hope he has a more interesting existence than just guarding that place though and waiting for a passer-by to throw his ball for him
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2012, 01:14 PM
I was thinking the same thing Moobil. It says he has a kennel and food but a dog (esp a bright breed like a GSD) need more then just food water and a place to sleep.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2012, 07:27 PM
What a sweet boy. I do hope he gets regular exercise and attention; he looks a bit lonely He must get bored, if he's left alone out there all day, every day...

If I lived near there I would definitely go and play with him
marley123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

23-01-2012, 08:43 PM
it does say the best day to see him is sunday so maby he is aloud in the ware house in the week when people are working ?
Dolce
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-01-2012, 09:58 PM
This makes me a bit sad that he craves attention from strangers.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2012, 02:21 AM
It's a lovely video but I agree with Dolce. I find it very sad that he spends his time by himself wiaitng for someone to play with him.

To me, this isn'ta guard dog, it's a family pet who, as Dolce said, is craving attention from just about anybody who would take notice of him.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top