register for free

Dog News

Keswick voted the most dog-friendly town

The Cumbrian town of Keswick has beaten 28,000 towns and business in the UK to be voted the best dog friendly town in the Kennel Club's Open for Dogs Awards. The competition – based solely on the views of the public - has run every year for six years, recognising dog-friendly establishments and places to visit, and aims to encourage more places to be dog-friendly.

Linda Furniss, tourism officer for Keswick Tourism Association, described Keswick as: “just such a perfect base to explore the fells, woodland and lakeside walks, with masses of open space to get out for long walks with your dog.”

B&B owner, Alison True, said: “It's not just the number of dogs you see but the number of 'Dogs Welcome' signs you see in the shops, pubs and cafés.”

Kennel Club Secretary, Caroline Kisko said: “The people of Keswick show that they are willing to go above and beyond for their own four-legged friends, as well as those that are just visiting, which is consistent with the UK's love affair with dogs.”

Awards will be presented to the winners of the Open for Dog Awards at the Kennel Club's Discover Dogs event at Earl's Court, London, Saturday, November 10.

Your comments and views:
Azz
Administrator
Male 

05-11-2012, 04:44 PM
Well done Keswick! I will definitely pencil in to visit one day - any friend of dogs is a friend of mine Thanks for the story Linda!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2012, 06:36 PM
My parents lived just up the road in Braithwaite for a great many years......we always had a dog in tow when we went up to visit, and there was nowhere that it was not welcome.
Ellie-Dal
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-11-2012, 06:53 PM
I was just there last week on holiday with the family and Ellie. This is the second time we have taken her in the last few months. Keswick is such a lovely place!
Here' she is posing outside one of the cafes there back in August

Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2013, 12:05 PM
Feeling home sick reading this. I am simply overjoyed that Keswick won this much deserved award!

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top