register for free

Dog News

DNA traced stolen Carmarthenshire dogs to neighbour

DNA tests after 34 puppies were stolen in Carmarthenshire led police to a next-door neighbour, a court has heard.

The West Highland terriers were stolen from a shed at breeder Gwilym Williams's home last October.

Rachel Thomas, 24, of Tregynnor, was caught when officers used DNA to prove her six dogs were from the same litters as the stolen pups.

Thomas was ordered to pay £1,050 compensation and return the dogs by Swansea Crown Court.

The court heard the pups, which were due to go to families who had paid £175 for them, were taken from the shed at Mr Williams' home in Llanfihangel ar Arth.

He called in police to investigate after he suspected Thomas was setting up a rival breeding firm next door.

Dyfed Powys Police seized six dogs from her home and tests proved they were part of the same litter as the 34 taken from Mr Williams' home.
Full article and photographs here...

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-sou...wales-29210890

If 34 puppies were stolen, the six found were from the same litters as the stolen pups - how many litters did Mr Williams have at the same time? And what happened to the other twenty-eight? Also, surely if they were West Highland terriers they would have been sold for more than £175 - unless that was just the deposit, of course.

Your comments and views:
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-09-2014, 10:41 AM
If you google him it brings up dog breeding license listings

Theres one place on the list that shows as being licensed for 100 dogs?? jeez

it would appear that ceredignon has a massive amount of dog breeding going on google the list its nuts!!
Musher
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-09-2014, 05:54 AM
34!!!! Geez, I drive a dog team and I don't need that many puppies in 3 years to replace old and/or crippled dogs.
34 Westies would pull a sled real fast. 136 tiny feet moving like the wind over the snow as a opposed through it.
Nah!! Too yappy.
If I can get a licence to breed that many dogs, £135 is worth about $270.00 Canadian. I can't even get that for a dog that can haul wood or track down a deer. I think may haps I be in the wrong line of business.
My facetious spirit arises once again

I'm glad the thief was caught.

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top