register for free

Dog News

Loyal Grace who stayed by fatally injured dog's side up for adoption

A dog who remained by the side of another dog after it was fatally hit by a car has been put up for adoption. The two-year old black labrador was seen lying next to the other dog in La Puento, California as traffic passed close by, and filmed by a motorist who put down traffic cones to protect the dog and warn other drivers.

The loyal dog, named Grace by animal shelter staff, is reported to have been well cared for but is up for adoption because nobody has come forward to claim her. Anyone interested in giving Grace a home can contact Baldwin Park Animal Care Centre at (626) 962-3577 – Grace's impound number is A4416170.

The motorist posted the video on YouTube.

WARNING – may cause upset.

For an update, see here: http://www.dogsey.com/dog-news.php?t=167336

Your comments and views:
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2012, 08:16 AM
I find it interesting that people have interpreted this behaviour as loyalty.

Could the explanation just be the dog was too traumatised to move?

Or would that not be so newsworthy?
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2012, 08:17 AM
Oh, bless her heart. I hope she finds a new home very soon and a new best friend.

Good luck, sweetheart xx
marley123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-04-2012, 08:18 PM
who says its not loyalty,
i have seen clips of dogs trying to drag another dog of the road so dont say dogs dont think like that
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2012, 08:46 PM
Bless her. I had a cat hit by a car and my other cat (his brother) was trying to paw him out the road, several of us witnessed it.

I sincerely hope she gets a forever home
twilightwolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-04-2012, 10:19 PM
Dogs can be loyal to other dogs, i'm sure yes the poor little girl is suffering from shock but i like to think this is an act of loyalty in itself that instead of shooting away she is lying with the other poor dog.

There are many stories from around the world of dogs acting out to save a companion - i read one story, when a dog was drowning in a river, and its companion jumped in, and dragged it to the bankside. - Now surely that's loyalty.

You have also got the recent tale of the two dogs found in Japan after the tsunami, one of the dogs refused to leave its injured companions side despite the efforts of relief workers. Again, i like to think it is loyalty.

We know dogs do not think like us humans, and we should not give them human emotions, but if we think again back to the wild wolf and how sick and injured wolves are sometimes cared for by the entire pack including the alphas. - That's also gotta be a tick in the loyalty box.

It's maybe a trait that not all dogs and wolves have. But some out there are very loyal and protective of one another and will guard each with their life.

I really hope and pray Grace finds a lovely forever home soon, to spoil her rotten. Poor little girl has been through enough.

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top