register for free

Dog News

Britain's endangered breeds

...has received 15 comments (page 2)
malwhit
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-04-2014, 12:59 PM
I often think some breeds of dog are rare because they have become exaggerations of what the breeds used to look like. I have always been a fan of Corgis - especially Pembrokes, but compare the ones of nowadays to those from the 1960s/70s when I was a child and they are heavier built and shorter legged.

If only show breeders stopped breeding for exaggerations in coat or looks, the breeds may gain favour again....I am thinking of most of the wire coated terriers where KC show-bred dogs are now un-common but working varieties of a similar type are seen regularly.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2014, 01:05 PM
I think it's down to 'fashion' and what dogs are 'fashionable' and popular to own.

People have dogs now that I'd never heard of decades ago. Well there's only so many 'homes for dogs' and as new breeds become more popular seems obvious to me that some will fade away.

Don't hear of many people owning Pekingese or Afghan hounds these days but I seem to recall them being popular in the 60s.

Here's a short article about Dogs in Popular Culture:
http://www.petdreams.com/blog/2012/0...culture-1960s/

I remember reading (I think it was in Wiki) about the popularity and then wane of Afghans a while back.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2014, 01:48 PM
It's also down to price I am afraid many on those lists are so expensive a normal dog owner simply wanting a pet dog would balk at the cost.
Someone we used to know had Afghans lovely dogs but her last was back in the 80s she said the price they were then going for were to much for her and she had them for over 30 years at that stage. Turned to other more easily affordable breeds after that.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2014, 02:34 PM
Not too sure about the price and how much that comes into it. Some of the newly fashionable dogs are very pricey. And, if someone is going to pay hundreds and hundreds for any sort of pedigree dog - I don't suppose they are too bothered about the cost being more.

To tell the truth, 30 yrs ago you could pay 500 for a pedigree dog and 300 for most I knew of. So, with the passage of time and how everything else has gone up the prices talked about these days don't seem that outrageous.

When you think how long a dog lives compared with some things people choose to spend their money on - they seem like quite good value! And I've said before, the initial outlay for buying a dog doesn't usually compare with the total cost of owning it for its lifespan.

Wouldn't get many hairdos or manicures out of 500 quid or even Ł1K over 10 to 15 yrs.

These days people pay a fortune for the latest mobile phones and laptops and gizmos too.

Bella only cost me 350 (and I wuz robbed lol!) but I'd happily part with many times that amount if she needed medical treatment or (as I do) to fly her to travel with me.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-04-2014, 02:44 PM
I don't think it has anything to do with exaggerations of what breeds used to look like, if you look at most breeds they have evolved over time... It's more to do with to much choice, we have so many new ( for us) breeds to chose from these days plus some of them don't make ideal family pets so again they are not considered.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2014, 02:47 PM
I tend to agree with Jackie. Lots more to choose from for starters. As I said, people now own dogs I never heard of years ago. DdeBs and Malamutes and Utonagans and even ...

Portuguese Water Dogs lol!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top