register for free

Dog News

Family who couldn't pay kennel fee ask for dog to be rehomed

A family who said they couldn't afford to pay a lump sump of £185 in order to get their dog back after she escaped from the garden have told a rescue centre to find Staffordshire bull terrier Kia a new home. Eight-year-old Kia's previous owner, family member Bernie Gadsby, described the family as “heartbroken”.

After Kia ran away from the garden in Bedford, owners Charlene Gadsby and her six-year-old son were relieved to discover that she was safe and being held at The Lodge Kennel near Baldock, Herts. Mrs Gadsby was asked to pay a release fee of £75, and advised she would have to pay £15 for every day Kia was not collected thereafter.

“We told the kennel we couldn't afford to pay all that money in one go and asked if we could arrange instalments over a few days but they just told us it was up to the council to decide,” said Mrs Gadsby.

Kia had been in the family for years but had been living with Mrs Gadsby for two weeks. Mrs Gadsby said Kia was loved and she didn't understand why the kennel would not reunite her with her family. Mother-in-law Bernie Gadsby said: “They told us that if we did not pay by Friday last week they would rehome her but she already has a home with my son and his family.” She believed that Kia must have lost her collar when she got out and said that although she was microchipped, the kennel could not read it properly.

The Lodge Kennel would not accept instalments if Bedford Borough Council was not prepared to make a concession on payment, saying, “We are absolutely over-run at the moment and can't keep up with the number of dogs coming in.” A spokesman for the council confirmed its legal duty to hold strays for a statutory period of seven days, after which time kennels would begin the re-homing process. The RSPCA could not help, saying it was the Council's responsibility.

Kia was moved to Loving Homes dog Rescue in Devon. After hearing their story, offers of help to pay the £185 were received by the family but they decided to ask the rescue centre to re-home Kia. “We are heartbroken but it has come to a point where it is just too much to pay,” said Bernie Gadsby. “We know she is well and will be given a loving home.”

Chris Dannan from the rescue centre said that they were made aware that there would be donations to cover the costs but no money has been received, adding: “Even if the situation changes we would not give her back to the family because there have been too many problems and inconsistencies.”

Your comments and views:
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2012, 03:52 PM
There is something about this story that doesnt feel right to me. On the surface it seems like the poor family are victims of red tape but then why would they refuse help? Also why would the rescue refuse even if the money was paid if there wasnt more to this?
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2012, 04:24 PM
Strange story. I know the council/dog wardens can have high charges if they find a dog straying as my work colleague had her 2 JRTs escape from her garden and had to pay over £300 and they were not in a kennel overnight!
She was told if they were picked up again the fee would rise to £5,000!

After this happening she has had an electric invisible fence installed and her dogs wear those special collars outside.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2012, 05:18 PM
Hmmmmmn... No collar, an unreadable chip and they refuse to take her back once someone offers to help with the cost. I suspect they had no intention of taking her back.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-04-2012, 05:31 PM
also why would the dog be moved to a rescue from herts all the way to devon?
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2012, 08:33 PM
sounds like a load of garbage to me, and the family don't want her back - if your dog was a member of the family you would flipping sell anything you could to raise money to get them out of kennel when it was £75 before it rose to £185!!!
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2012, 08:57 PM
Yep...definitely something fishy there! They just don't want her back. Poor little mite At least she's got the chance of a loving home now.
I can't believe some people. I'd sell my a**e in the docks to raise money for my dogs!
LindsayP
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-04-2012, 10:15 PM
There's a reply here from the dogs previous owner, any sympathy was lost at the mention of the puppies.

http://www.bedfordshire-news.co.uk/N...y-20042012.htm
Azz
Administrator
Male 

24-04-2012, 11:18 PM
Same here Lindsay - I was going to suggest we have a whip round till I read the latter part of the story... and your reply.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2012, 12:13 AM
I'm disgusted with the family tbh. I would go to the ends of the earth to have my dogs back if ever they got out. I would beg, borrow, steal - try anythign to get the money to pay for their safe return. If people donated or helped me financially, I would repay that kindness.

These fools couldn't e bothered to get their dog back and certainly don't deserve her. They've bla,ed the COuncil, the rescue that the dog went to and the kennels initially. If it's the same Lodge Kennels in Baldock I'm thinking of then I know who runs and owns it. Where the council bring in dogs to them, they don't have much say really in what happens to them or how long they should keep them for.

Finally, funny isn't it how when someone is in the wrong, it's always someone else's fault?!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top