register for free

Dog News

Neopolitan Mastiff "bites" judge

...has received 11 comments (page 2)
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-07-2014, 11:00 PM
He did bite the judge, he had a scrape on his face. But when a dog bites there's always a good reason. Now, we don't know that reason for sure in this case but there are quite a few pointers we can see from the video. There's no 'point black period' about this incident, otherwise we might as well just put any dog down that's ever punctured skin without looking for the cause first.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2014, 11:36 PM
But when a dog bites there's always a good reason.
I can't even agree with this, despite the fact that in shows it's not even relevant as the dogs must never behave like this. Most of the time there is a good reason, but these are dogs and sometimes there is no reason whatsoever when a dog bites.

I am not an advocate for putting all dogs down who bite. I have a dog that may bite if cornered or threatened and I'd never want her put down because of it. My comment was not to imply that this dog should be put down or punished in any way. I'm not from the UK, most bites here go unpunished or lightly punished.

I just don't like the excuses everyone is making for the dog. He turned his head and tried to bite, and the owner claims HE never saw it coming. The judge made several excuses for the dog, none of which make any real sense... but at the end of the day, this is a (huge) dog that just tried to bite a man in the face.

He's only 16 months, and as a Neo... adolescence is hitting him etc. and there were likely contributing factors which he should not be blamed for such as the heat, his fatigue, the owners distress... but excuses also should not be made for him.

He's as "unpredictable" as a dog that hasn't won tons of shows and has never shown any aggression towards anything. Yet the owner stated (and reiterated) that this is not an unpredictable dog. IMO, he is now!

I also see comments in the article saying the dog showed good bite inhibition funny!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top