register for free

Dog News

Prize-winning Akita attacks woman and another dog

...has received 21 comments (page 2)
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-07-2014, 05:14 PM
From my understanding the other dog was also a male Akita , there are many breeds that don't get along with the same sex in breed, even breeds that don't have the baggage that some place on them as fighting dogs.

This sounds like a accident two dogs taking a dislike to each other and an unfortunate bystander getting in the way, this can happen anywhere with any dog,
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

27-07-2014, 05:19 PM
I stand corrected, just checked on the KC SITE, and there will be an active test t for bronze on the day.....
JTVN
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-07-2014, 05:19 PM
UK version - Exercise 8 - Examination of the Dog

The object of this exercise is to demonstrate that the dog will allow inspection of its body by its handler. This exercise will be
carried out on a lead. The examiner will be shown how a handler can examine their own dog.

The examiner doesn't have to touch the dog for the bronze exam. The dog does have to walk among people and dogs for exercise 5 and remain under control.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

27-07-2014, 05:24 PM
JTVN ...yes you are right, the dog has to allow handler to go over him for bronze...but my point was you would not take a aggressive dog into such a situation the dog will have to cope with lots of other dogs around, it would not have passed if it was lunging at every dog within its vicinity ....
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-07-2014, 06:06 PM
Actually, as usual with the Mail, the story isn't clear. It is also possible that the dog had been entered in the 'Good Citizen' class within its breed classes. The minimum qualification for this class is the KC Bronze award - which is only the lowest test of canine citizenship. If it guaranteed good behaviour, there would be no need for the Silver and Gold awards.
Quite apart from dogs which just do not like each other, I'm actually amazed that there are not more aggressive incidents at dog shows - the larger breeds are often left, in an unfamiliar environment, on open benches, to which members of the public are given free access. When I used to show, I have had dogs hugged by children, and attempts made to be fussed and picked up by complete strangers. You can't just switch off, but nobody can be 100% vigilant.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2014, 06:09 PM
Jackie, things are not the same in the US and the UK. IDK the rules, but why an aggressive dog would be at a show is beyond me. And an AKITA biting people and SUPPOSEDLY causing extremely serious injuries such as permanent nerve damage and required surgery was you know... brushed aside by the judge. Either this story is missing vital parts, or the judge was being anything EXCEPT impartial.

BTW, the Japanese Akita Inu does have connections to fighting a long time ago. In the 1600s, but still it exists. The American dogs, no... but ages ago, many breeds that today have no "true" links to fighting were used for that. The Akita lost out to the Tosa (a banned breed in the UK) as a fighting dog... but like you said "believe your version" if you want to.

This dog bit someone, and reportedly quite badly and in no way should this be written off as a mere accident IMO. You should not take an aggressive dog into a show period, and any hints of aggression should be met with a dismissal. You should not breed dogs with volatile, aggressive, or unpredictable temperaments.

And yes, there should be NO WAY that a dog that went after other dogs would have been able to pass. Perhaps the test was botched, with nothing but bitches or dogs that Akita was OKAY with as part of the test. That means he passed, but he would not have if there was an Akita of the same gender there. In breeds where this is a noted problem, this really should be done (I know it is not standard and it can result in loopholes).

If he passed despite this (other large males etc. WERE there), then his temperament is not even, sometimes he's aggressive, and then sometimes he's not. Both ways... not a good way to test and not a proper passing. Should not be in a show ring if he can't get along with males of his same breed as they WILL be there.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

27-07-2014, 06:35 PM
You keep saying "taking an aggressive dog into a show environment".. the point is you wont listen to, is that this dog may not have been aggressive BEFORE it crossed paths with the other dog.......... the dog did NOT attack the woman as per say, she got in the way between two dogs that were having a spat....

Yes the dog bit someone, no one is condoning this and it will pay the price for it , in its show career .

Its not my version, its in the breed notes, the Akita was not bred as a fighting dog it was a hunting dog, what people did with them along the way is not what you said originally, you stated they were bred to fight, that's an untruth.

So given you said, these dogs should not be trusted, (in a round about way,) you condemned them all with your first post, now your saying its the Japanese ones that are fighting dogs, but the US ones are not.... you may be interested to know they all evolve from the same breed, its just colour and type that sets them apart, its only recent this has happened, to early to set one against the other as one being aggressive and the other not !

Seeing as its a UK dog at a UK show, maybe you should have understood that before you said what you did.

And unless you have been to a UK show were there could be up to a few thousand dogs all in the same place at the same time, stating no dog that shows a hint of aggression should be excluded its impossible, whats aggression, sometimes things just happen, even to the best of us, they are not robots they are dogs and as such can react out of character on occasion.

Still don`t get how a court judge could possibly be biased and give favour to someone who owns a dog that bit someone... why would they do this????
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

27-07-2014, 06:39 PM
I'm actually amazed that there are not more aggressive incidents at dog shows -
I agree, we expect to much sometimes of our dogs, that many dogs in those situations it astonishes me sometimes how well behaved most of them are, your also right , the dog could have been in a breed GC class, not taking part in a display or test.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

27-07-2014, 07:07 PM
I do not know whether or not the Mail was correct in what it published, or whether it embellished the article for sales purposes.

All I know is that it was sent to me as an online article and I posted it in all good faith as a news article in this News Section.

If the article was incorrect then I was not to know.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2014, 07:41 PM
And just what "breed notes" are you reading? Because the ones I am reading don't say that at all. Also, you said what I had been implying all along. This dog gets leniency because he's a show dog. So the only punishment is that he doesn't get to show anymore. Whereas if he were NOT a show dog, I have a feeling his fate would have been far worse.

You're right, this dog MIGHT not have been aggressive before he crossed paths with a dog he decided not to like. Dogs are not robots, but TBH... in shows, they are more or less expected to behave like them. I expect some issues, but viciousness causing severe injuries is not something I'd expect to see out of a show dog.

And if this dog indeed has a CGC certificate (especially a higher ranking one such as gold), I'd certainly be questioning the entire system around how he got it. I'm not going to just lie down and accept that he got it fair and square if he is reacting to other dogs with enough aggression to cause horrible injuries to a person trying to break it up.

Crufts is a very big and important place... I'm sure there could be some influence to "underplay" things. Imagine if a dog that was there was put down due to terrible aggression issues.

That would look very, very bad. But if the issues were just brushed under a rug and the dog banned from competing, that is much, much better. Maybe I should just up and trust that everything is legit, ehhh but I won't!

Then again, I'm American and perhaps corruption, bribery, etc. is a lot more common here.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top