register for free

Dog News

Rescue faces closure after being sued by volunteer

A dog sanctuary is facing closure and having to have most of the animals put to sleep after being sued by a volunteer helper who was bitten there by an abandoned stray.

Wallace Kennels Dog Rescue, which has saved thousands of dogs since it opened in the 1970s, needs £30,000 to pay the victim compensation.

An action was brought by a volunteer after she was bitten on an arm and leg as she entered the cage of a large dog. She sued the centre over her injuries and psychological damage, using a 'no-win-no-fee' solicitor.
http://www.dogworld.co.uk/product.ph...by%20volunteer

They settled out of court due to having not renewed their insurance, but how could they settle if they did not have the money to do so?

Your comments and views:
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

08-05-2014, 02:45 PM
disgraceful behaviour by the 'volunteer' in my opinion.
They probably had to have a fund raise to pay the person off, so money that would have been there to help the dogs has gone to give this person a cushy lifestyle
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2014, 03:27 PM
I echo what TW says, they know by the very nature of the job what it entails and getting bitten is part and parcel of it. I hope it dosent open the flood gates and to this kind of thing.
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2014, 04:01 PM
I know these kennels and instead of money being spent on flowers for my brother-in-laws funeral everyone gave cheques of money for the kennels, I know it amounted to several hundreds of pounds but unless you get other families doing similar they will never get to pay off this amount. I hope that volunteer gets her own come back how could they take the money away from all those homeless animals. I think it is disgusting.
Bobble
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-05-2014, 04:58 PM
Completely echo what Elaine says. I am also concerned about this setting a precendent for further claims of this type. So sad, however the rescue should not have let their insurance lapse. The first rule has to be to behave like a business and ensure you have adequate cover, to me that is common sense. As always though, it is the animalse who suffer.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2014, 05:32 PM
From what I am reading about this it seems the main problem is they did not 'renew their insurance'.

It may be that they've been paying out for insurance and never needed to call on it and thought they could save costs by dropping it. Or that they just forgot (but you usually get reminders).

Where unknown quantity dogs are concerned, I'd have thought it was even MORE essential to carry liability insurance. It could as easily have been a member of the public who didn't work there that got bitten.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2014, 08:03 PM
I agree with you Tang. £30,000 seems a drop in the ocean compared with what it could have been.

As usual, only half a story so it's difficult to comment

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top