register for free

Dog News

Lambs die in series of dog attacks

Police are appealing for witnesses after a series of dog attacks at a farm in Wood End in Hertfordshire.

A number of lambs ewes and a goose have been killed at Highbury Farm by what’s believed to be domestic dogs on the loose.

Farmer Peter Gear is urging dog owners to be more responsible as the attacks continue to happen and threaten his livelihood.
http://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2014-...f-dog-attacks/

I hope they catch the dogs who were responsible and that the owner/s are prosecuted for letting them run loose.

Your comments and views:
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2014, 07:42 AM
I'm almost in favour of shooting the owners at this point no one surely is under any misapprehension that dogs cannot be off lead around lambs and sheep etc. Just wilful neglect of responsibility.
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2014, 07:45 AM
Terrible, my heart goes out to the farmers hit by this madning irresponsibility of pet owners. They should be fined exceedingly heavily!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-05-2014, 08:34 AM
The belief that at least two domestic dogs being let out unaccompanied are responsible for the attack, is, to me, absolutely shocking.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2014, 08:37 AM
I'm not shocked to hear TWO dogs were on the loose. I see more loose dogs than that every day.

However my thoughts about this new story are the same as they were for this one

Dog owners warned to control pets to help cut sheep deaths

and this one

Campaign launched to combat dog mess blight on farmland

and all the other farmers vs dogs stories we've had on here.

If stories about this are appearing almost daily in UK news does that mean it is now the biggest dog related problem in the UK?
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-05-2014, 08:46 AM
There are many more news stories in the media, mostly regarding dog bites to humans, so I would not say that farmers v dogs is the biggest problem in the UK.

However, this being the lambing season there are more of these stories than usual.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2014, 09:02 AM
I think truth told dog on dog aggression is the biggest problem we have but that doesn't make the news very often as no one takes it seriously.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2014, 11:11 AM
Very true Julie. As regards the stories about famers vs dogs on farmland - I don't think the differing opinions for either side will change much as is borne out by all the previous threads on the subject in here.

Some think farmers have every right to protect their livestock by whatever means available to them under the law.

Some think they should not be able to shoot their dogs under any circumstances and that they should be allowed to roam wherever they like.

Others can see both points of view but sit on the fence!

And some, like Victor Mewdrew, just DON'T BELIEVE IT!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

03-05-2014, 12:20 PM
I saw this on the news last night and I do wish people would take responsibility for their dogs and keep them on lead around livestock .

We are off to Derbyshire this Summer and if there is nowhere for Dillon to be off lead due to livestock he will be on a long line at all times.

I can not bear thinking even if unintentional he may cause harm or distress to another living creature or through my own neglect may end up shot. I am surprised this farmer hasn't shot these two dogs.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2014, 01:16 PM
Agree strongly with everything you say Lynn. My main priority is to keep my own dog safe. But I am an 'animal' lover, not just a dog lover. I don't want to be berating myself for causing any animal harm. (Well, I might make an exception for cockroaches!) But even if I kill the odd one or two I think they will still rule the planet in the event of nuclear wipe out!

My dog is on and off her lead ALL the time. Even for a short walk like we've just done. Sometimes because we are near a road (won't take chances even on quiet roads) and even for a few yards until we turn off again and even if I can see 'nothing is coming' in both directions. It is GOOD for her to know she has to stop and get her lead on and taken off regularly. Sometimes because we are approaching the donkeys and now she likes them she wants to go in their paddock with them OH NOOO! Sometimes because I can see goats in the distance. And often because I've spotted an 'unknown quantity' dog, with or without its owner.

I can honestly say she is just as happy ON as she is OFF the lead. Never goes any further from me off the lead than if she was on the long one. (Not unless I stop behind her to take pics and then she usually stops too and looks round as if to say 'well are you coming or what?} and waits for me to catch up a bit.

We really enjoy each other's company when out and about and I'm not about to spoil that for some odd obsession with thinking my dog should be allowed to ROAM wherever she likes.

Dogs have to do what we want them to do. If we are lucky enough to have one that will do that without being tethered to us well and good. If not - well that's what the leads are for isn't it?

And what on EARTH is any objection to 'picking up' after your dog all about anyway? We all carry doggy bags at all times don't we? Hell I find one in the w/machine every time I empty it on account of them being stuffed in every pocket as well as in all bags and my car etc.

Dog poos - pick it up. No need to discuss whether you should have to or not then. I've walked dogs where they do not ask you to pick up. I still pick up because although the landowners don't insist on it, other dog walkers seeing me and the dog would be appalled. I've even 'pretended' to pick up after my old Cavvy because she used to 'pretend' to cr@p lol! But from a distance an observer wouldn't know she hadn't!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top