register for free

Dog News

Herd of cattle trample dogwalker

A former councillor was trampled to death by a stampeding herd of cattle as he walked through a field in Derbyshire with his wife and two dogs.
Peter Jakeman, 62, who was visiting the area from his home town in Callington, Cornwall, was walking across a field on the Okeover Estate in Ashbourne when the tragedy unfolded.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-two-dogs.html

My morbid fear of cows is obviously well founded.

Your comments and views:
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-05-2014, 01:00 PM
It happens every year and yet people still walk in fields containing cows. not me mate cows are scarey critters
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2014, 02:04 PM
Same here trouble. I am only in the vicinity of cattle if I was totally unaware they were there. I was once incarcerated on my boat while moored up coz there were cows outside it!

They were not there the night before and I awoke to the boat rocking like mad ... the cows were licking it!

Mind you i'm wrote scared of horses took as they don't like me. Used to take my daughter. I've been bitten by one and trodden on by a huge one. Gawd that did hurt.

I like goats and donkeys and camels!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

16-05-2014, 02:11 PM
My fear too I avoid fields with cows with or without a dog.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2014, 03:18 PM
oh yeah Lynn! The dog didn't even come into the equation when I was speaking about my dread of cows. Just ME - they frit the life out of me and they DO sometimes chase you!

My ex used to laugh and say you only have to shout and clap at them. Before he'd even finished spouting that rubbish I was out of sight and earshot!

Last thing I'd want for any dog of mine would be for it to be kicked by a larger hoofed animal.

I remember reading somewhere that a lot of incidents involving injury to humans were caused by them trying to 'save their dogs' from the cattle. But that they should really run and leave the dogs to run too as the dogs would probably escape unscathed on their own.

Anyway, who wants to be looking out for huge cowpats everywhere!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

16-05-2014, 04:41 PM
I saw a a herd of cows intimidate a horse and rider many years ago.
The family had 3 horses I use to look after and ride their 16 hand cross country hunter the dad his daughter and I were out riding he rode a huge iron grey called Warrior it was roughly 17 hands. The fields we rode were rented by the riding school and livery yard. The herd of cows cornered Warrior and his rider in a corner and he told his daughter and myself to get out of the field and back to the stables.
There were no calves and we often rode through the fields we had no choice really and never before had that happened.
I think the people who owned the land and rented it out let a farmer put his cows in there and we didn't know and were ambushed. Frightened me I can tell you. Horse and rider arrived back eventually in one piece never know to this day how he and his horse got out of there unscathed.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2014, 05:35 PM
We had a long thread somewhere on here about this in the past. I remember looking up the warnings issued.

Here's one from last year issued by the British Mountaineering Council

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/Taking-care-around-cows

Little excerpt from it here

While such attacks are relatively rare, Health and Safety Executive figures show that over 481 people have been injured by cows in the past eight years.

The countryside is a great place to exercise dogs, but it’s every owner’s duty to make sure their dog is not a danger or nuisance to farm animals, wildlife or other people.

By law, farmers are entitled to destroy a dog that injures or worries their animals, therefore dog walkers should keep their dogs on their lead at any time of the year when near farm animals, particularly during lambing times. However, it’s really important to be aware that there will circumstances when this could prove to be the wrong advice.

If you find yourself in a field of suddenly wary cattle, move away as carefully and quietly as possible, and if you feel threatened by cattle then let go of your dog’s lead and let it run free rather than try to protect it and endanger yourself. The dog will outrun the cows and it will outrun you.

Those without canine companions should follow similar advice: move away calmly, do not panic and make no sudden noises. Chances are the cows will leave you alone once they establish that you pose no threat.

If you walk through a field of cows and there happen to be calves, think twice; if you can, go another way and avoid crossing fields.
lorniec
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-05-2014, 06:03 PM
Sadly the country park on my doorstep has a herd of cows in the field I have to walk through to get to the rest of the park on foot (the car park is 3.00 a go)......there are quite a few people that go through so maybe they get accustomed to it, also they are not calving just grazing which probably makes it safer. My plan of escape is to hug the nearest tree!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2014, 02:42 AM
I mean cows are huge, how a person could be in a field full of them and not be scared or worried is strange to me. With a dog, which is a natural predator to grass eating animals like cows... it makes sense that the spooked cows might stampede.

Needless to say, if you see calves.. steer far clear. I have heard of farmers being severely injured by mother cows "protecting" their calves. Get kicked or stomped by a truly cow... say goodbye.

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top