register for free

Dog News

Man sets up charity to deal with dog fouling

A former dog owner is so concerned by dog fouling that he is using £10,000 of his own money to set up StreetKleen - a charity to remove dog faeces from the streets of Broughton in Chester. StreetKleen's aims are “removal, education and prevention”, and the money put in by Gary Downie will be used to purchase the equipment needed to get it up and running.

Mr Downie explained that he is concerned about health risks to his children. “I have a five-year-old at Broughton Primary School, and a seven-week-old baby, and I have personally experienced the grim reality of pushing a stroller to the school and health centre.”

The charity plans to develop a “more practical” dog bin than those currently in use and recruit unemployed people as part of the removal programme.

Current measures at dealing with owners who don't pick up after their dogs include regular patrols, with owners being approached to check they have bags and inform them of penalties that can be imposed if they don't pick up – a £75 fixed penalty fine and up to £1000 fines after prosecution.

A spokesperson for Flintshire Council highlighted a current Dog Watch scheme, where local residents, in conjunction with the council and police, patrol their communities and/or pass on information about owners who do not pick up after their dogs.

Local councillor, David MacFarlane, said he is “delighted” with the plan for StreetKleen. Mr Downie hopes the charity will benefit his community and expand across the UK.

Your comments and views:
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2012, 05:27 PM
Fair play to the man. But I think all he can ask for is volunteers who WANT to advise people and clean up dog poop.

At the end of the day it states that he intends to recruit unemployed people. I take it they will have a choice about it? After all, advising and educating people is great but cleaning up after someone else's dog? I know I wouldn't do it.

Also, from a personal perspective, I do carry poo bags and certainly wouldn't appreciate someone stopping me on a walk to advise me of something I already know about and do for my dog anyway.

If he's very careful about how he goes abut it, it could be a great success. But when there is already such a scheme with the Council, why use his own money?
fredelliant
New Member!
Male 

19-03-2012, 11:24 PM
With regard to dog fouling, we recently developed and patented a waterless cleaning product which will remove dirt from shoe treads, tyres of pushchairs, wheelchairs etc.
It would break the rules for me to advertise it here, but if there is interest. and with permission from the administrators, I can supply details of it.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2012, 09:04 AM
hmmmm..I walk without bags...but then mine are trained to poop in the garden, not on walks!
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2012, 07:58 PM
Mmm-sounds better than our council! I reported a man for not clearing up after his dog and the council did nothing about it! I rang again and they sent him a letter advising him of his responsibilities. He said he didn't have to as he was disabled! He was walking faster than me and his dog was not leashed near a main road where we live.

Anything that makes people more responsible gets a yes from me. I am fed up with owners who give the rest of us a bad name and stop dogs being welcome at places.

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top