register for free

Dog News

Deaths prompt raids on suspected puppy farms in Berkshire

Raids have been carried out on two suspected puppy farms in Berkshire after a number of dogs died days after they were bought.

Slough Borough Council, the RSPCA and Thames Valley Police searched addresses in Glentworth Place, Chalvey, and St Paul's Avenue, Wexham, on 21 May.

They found two young Labrador puppies in serious need of medical attention.
A Chihuahua, a Beagle, four adult Lurchers and two more Labrador puppies were also rescued.

One of the very young Labrador puppies found was so ill with the parvovirus virus it had to be put to sleep straight away.
Ian Blake, neighbourhood enforcement team leader, said: "The adult dogs were found in a pen at the bottom of the garden, with only an upturned wheelie bin for shelter. They were all skinny, hungry and had skin and fur problems due to the poor conditions they had been kept in."

The raids came after people reported buying puppies that became very sick or died days after they were bought.
Full story here...

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-berkshire-27621535

Hopefully it is yet another puppy farm that will have been closed down.

Your comments and views:
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

30-05-2014, 09:08 AM
Cannot understand why people keep these places going by buying from them. If the 'breeder' (I use the term loosely in this case) cannot supply bona fide health tests for the parents of the puppies, and vax certs etc for the puppies, the place is a tip and the puppies are in poor condition, walk away and report them to the council and the RSPCA
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-05-2014, 09:52 AM
I agree with Tawneywolf but even if buyers are not clued up enough to check health tests for the parents they should still be able to recognise a healthy mum and pups. Why do people still hand over wads of cash for what they know is a pup from a filthy home? Feeling sorry for it is a very odd reason but the one most frequently given.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

30-05-2014, 09:56 AM
yes I understand how hard it must be to walk away from puppies in horrendous conditions and obviously poorly, I speak to lots of people who have bought puppies this way.
BUT if they did walk away and then report them, then the puppies would be taken away and get the medical attention they need, the 'breeders' would not make any money out of them, with any luck the poor bitches would be taken away as well, so they would be left without their money machines, and it may, just may, put them off starting up again, especially as once they are on the radar then they will be watched.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2014, 10:47 AM
tw so many people fight shy of involving officialdom. where i and i think thee would wade in, fists up etc, they dread and avoid any kind of confrontation. that is not an excuse! i see this so much here.. the oh well irish attitude. so they evade responsibility by throwing money at the situation.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

30-05-2014, 11:01 AM
You don't need to even 'wade in' personally.Informing the council or RSPCA means they are the ones to visit and do what needs to be done.
All the shouting in the world won't stop these people, but constant harrassment from the council, insistence on inspection etc puts them off. They don't want to spend the money to ensure their dogs are properly looked after, puppies cared for etc. and having officialdom on their backs making sure they do will be pretty off-putting, and if people DO walk away from these poor puppies, yes it is awful to turn away, but as long as they are reported, then long term it is the best thing. Buying a puppy like this puts money in their pockets, and the new owners could well end up with a sick puppy that has to be pts.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2014, 11:20 AM
tw many think that even doing that will involve them, that the people will get to know who reported them. sorry; i explained that badly. i did not mean shouting but reporting.
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-05-2014, 11:20 AM
From that article I gather that the puppies were bred somewhere else in the UK, probably a puppy farm, and were only 'distributed' through those people.
So the actual puppy farm hasn't even been found yet

I cannot understand people buying puppies from such conditions, just because they feel sorry for them. But even less can I understand people buying puppies that so obviously came from puppy mills!!! No mother present is the biggest alarm bell that can ring, how people can't spot that or simply ignore that for the sake of a cute puppy is beyond my understanding
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

30-05-2014, 01:04 PM
They just want to get the puppy out of there, knee jerk reaction, like I said I have spoken to so many people who have said that to me. They then say, I know I shouldn't have.

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top