register for free

Dog News

Elderly Staffordshire bull terrier tied and left to die in a Croydon graveyard

An elderly Staffordshire bull terrier (SBT), thought to be around 10-years-old, was found abandoned in the dark in a Croydon graveyard. The dog, who is in poor health, had a heavy metal chain around his neck and was tied with only around 3 feet of washing line, allowing him very little room to move. The person who found him firmly believes he was left to die.

The dog was found in Croydon Crematorium by dog walker Christine Doré. She described hearing “terrible hoarse cries” and when she investigated she spotted his face, illuminated by the light of her torch, through a hedgerow at the end of the cemetery. The frightened dog had been hidden away behind gravestones and hedgerows. “Where he was left he wasn't meant to be found,” said his rescuer.

Christine described the dog as having a bloodshot eye, very long claws, a lump on one side and problems with rear leg coordination. She said that he is unable to keep both back feet on the ground simultaneously and keeps having to lift them “like a puppet”.

The SBT was collected by Croydon Council's dog warden and will become council property if not claimed within seven days, at which point he will be behaviourally assessed with a view to finding him a new home through rescue organisations.

Despite the little dog's ordeal, Christine described him as trusting, loving and sweet.

Your comments and views:
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2011, 06:19 PM
I`m wondering if he belonged to a confused elderly person. Poor old soul.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2011, 06:21 PM
Oh bless him, I hope that because of his ordeal, from what isn't a human! His chances of getting a home are increased at least, poor thing.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

08-12-2011, 06:40 PM
Poor boy. Possible what Claire suggests or someone has left him there as he seems as if he may have health issues and they have not the money or do not wich to pay out for treatment for him.

I hope he finds a nice warm cosy home in which to spend his twilight years.
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-12-2011, 09:10 AM
Whoever dumped this poor dog, why didn’t they just tie the dog up outside a rescue instead of being so cruel to leave it where it possibly would have been found eventually dead?

I hope the person responsible for this dies a slow painful death, that’s what people like that deserve.

I so hope this dog is able to find a forever home.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2011, 01:49 PM
sounds to me thats exactly as described, poor soul was left to die,someone has their use of him and now getting rid... If you are going to do that at least as someone else said take him to a rescue and leave him there - but n a graveyard in the night???

sick
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2011, 03:40 PM
Quite a lot of the time I am ashamed to be a human
Poor , poor boy
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2011, 03:47 PM
How wonderful it is to live in Croydon..... we are overrun with staffies and chavs - it's a nightmare, and the poor dogs suffer.....

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top