register for free

Dog News

A happy Christmas this year for abandoned Noa

A British couple have described how an abandoned dog who had been chained up and left to die in a remote region of Spain, has found a new life with them in the UK. Chris and Bob Thornton were trekking in Mount Sagra, near Alicante when they discovered the dog on Christmas day last year. Tied to a gate outside a derelict cottage, the emaciated dog had been left with no food, water or shelter, was unable to reach a nearby stream, and was found with another dead dog chained next to her.

The couple said the dog, reported to be a German Shepherd, had been unlikely to survive another night. They managed to release her and gave her some water, returning the following day with leftover turkey, before leaving her.

However, the dog, who they named Noa, had other ideas.

“We drove off and it was dreadful leaving her,” explained Mrs Thornton. “We drove for quite a while down a number of tiny narrow lanes feeling quite upset. We went for a walk and three hours later when we came back she was by the car. It was absolutely amazing she found us. There were so many turn-offs and ways she could have gone, it's quite miraculous.”

The couple sought vet treatment for Noa, who had a large, raw neck wound caused by the chain cutting into her as she struggled, and she spent months in an animal rescue centre while the Thorntons returned to the UK to apply for an animal passport.

The Thorntons spent Ł600 on vets bills and another Ł400 to bring Noa home to them in Cumbria. Mrs Thornton said Noa has been enjoying lots of long walks in the nearby Lakes and Dales and is “spoilt rotten”.

“She is quite stocky now, she has loads of strength, she said, adding: “Everybody loves her, she is so popular.”

Your comments and views:
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2012, 02:25 PM
Oh that's made my really cry, but what a lovely, lovely ending for this poor girl. She was definitely laid in their path of life wasn't she. What a wonderful couple, and curses to the people who left those poor dogs there like that
Azz
Administrator
Male 

16-11-2012, 03:57 PM
Aww what a lovely story and a happy ending - well done Chris and Bob! Thanks for posting Linda!
Dr Salter
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-11-2012, 08:47 AM
Wonderful ending to a sad story. Congratulations to two loving people. Long live Noa!

Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2012, 10:28 AM
That's fantastic news! What a brilliant ending to a heart-wrenching story. I agree - LONG LIVE NOA!! XX

Usually I'm against so many foreign dogs coming into the UK. it's not because I don't want them to have the help they need, (and the Spanish particularly can be quite evil if they decide to abuse an animal) but I do think there are more than enough dogs here that need help.

Clearly though Noa decided she was their dog and that was that. Things happen for a reason and I think Noa and her new owners were destined to be together.

I hope she lives a very long time and forgets completely her life in Spain.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-11-2012, 10:45 AM
What a lovely story and money well spent
I can't think of a nicer Christmas present ...
audreymari
New Member!
Female 

27-08-2013, 04:03 PM
A happy ending, but why leave her in the first place??? She would have been in my car and would have come home with me x

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top