register for free

Dog News

Dog “suffered and died unnecessarily” at luxury dog hotel

The owners of a luxury dog hotel, who each admitted to two cases of animal neglect, have had their case adjourned for pre-sentence reports until 30 March. The couple were charged after a nine-year-old Collie-cross “suffered and died unnecessarily” after being left in their care at Burlington Green Acres in Somerset.

David and Lesley Phelps of Hemyock, Devon, left Izzie at the hotel on 25 July last year while they went on holiday, choosing it because of its claims to offer a “loving home from home for your dog”, where dogs sleep in centrally heated rooms and have acres of land to play in. Eleven days after she was left, Izzie collapsed. She was rushed to the vet, soaking wet, breathing heavily and with a weak pulse. She was found to be suffering from an open wound infested with maggots, suffered convulsions and died half an hour later. Tests found that she had not eaten for at least 24 hours and had been in poor condition for up to three days before her death.

An RSPCA investigation resulted in charges of animal neglect and the owners each admitted two charges under the Animal Welfare Act 2006 at Taunton Deane Magistrates Court, Somerset.

After the hearing last Friday, Mr Phelps said: “Nothing will bring Izzie back. She was part of the family and went everywhere with us. We feel the Fitzgerald-Robertses have let us and Izzie down.

“One of the main reasons we chose Burlington Green Acres was their assurance that they were able to give individual attention to the dogs.

“If anything positive can come of this we hope the authorities introduce frequent checks on kennels and catteries to ensure standards of animal welfare.”

The hotel's website states: “Our staff offer a quality and reliable service you can count on and relax safe in the knowledge your dog is being looked after and is happy.”

In a statement read to the court, Vet Nicola Newman said: “Izzie’s condition should have been noticed in the two or three days before her death. She suffered and died unnecessarily.”

The court heard that Mrs Fitzgerald-Roberts, of Upper Cheddon, near Taunton, was the kennels' owner and responsible for overall supervision. Her husband, of Brixham, Devon, was responsible for daily care of the animals.

Defending Mr Fitzgerald-Roberts, Ian Denley told the court that Izzie's long hair made it hard to spot the wound and maggots. He said: "Initially he didn't see anything wrong. As soon as he did he took her to the vet. He feels remorse."

Guy Adams, for Mrs Fitzgerald-Roberts, said that Izzie's day-to-day care was the responsibility of Mr Fitzgerald-Roberts. He added that Mrs Fitzgerald-Roberts: “failed to adequately supervise her husband, who had training and experience in looking after dogs.

“She trusted him in the day-to-day care of Izzie. What she didn’t do is follow him around and in a husband and wife situation, why would you?
“She realises now she should have done.”

Taunton Deane Borough Council has applied for Burlington Green Acres to have its licence revoked.

Your comments and views:
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2012, 10:55 AM
You know, I don't like this story. It sounds fishy to me. Within a max of three days, all that happened to her? She had an open wound with maggots? It seems a bit far fetched if you're asking me. It's awful to hear that a dog suffered and died, but something makes me think this story is incomplete...
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2012, 11:28 AM
I was thinking the same thing. I wonder, scientifically, how long maggots would take to become present in a wound?
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2012, 11:50 AM
A very sad outcome for the family and, of course, the poor dog, but it does seem a little odd that Izzie's condition deteriorated so rapidly. I'm wondering could she have had this wound before she was even kennelled there? However, she was there for 11 days (not 3) before the wound was noticed.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2012, 12:18 PM
hmmm... its probable the wound happened before she went to the kennels....

fly strike takes time

poor dog
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2012, 12:13 PM
I doubt a neglectful owner would bother to seek out a 'luxury dog hotel' for their pet.

The dog was there 11 days. Hadn't eaten for at least 24 hrs.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2012, 10:00 PM
I doubt a neglectful owner would bother to seek out a 'luxury dog hotel' for their pet.

The dog was there 11 days. Hadn't eaten for at least 24 hrs.
..that means nothing,
not seeing a wound is common and then the dog being left in 'kennels' means the owner who knows the dog and that would see licking of wounds etc is not there....also not surprising the dog hadnt eaten in 24 hours when its fly blown.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2012, 10:07 PM
So how long is it before a wound can become affected by 'fly strike' then? What I am reading doesn't say it would have to be more than 11 days. And it can affect animals who have wet or dirty coats and no open wounds apparently.

It seems to be being overlooked that the owners of this 'hotel' ADMITTED being guilty of neglect!

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top