register for free

Dog News

Bull mastiff gives birth to a litter of 23 pups

The late-night duties for an Omaha couple grew by leaps and bounds after their pet bull mastiff surprised them with a litter of 23 puppies.

Lamar Williams, 25, said he knew his dog “Little Mama” was “ready to pop” when he took her for a walk the night of April 27.

He and his wife Shanesha, who have two little girls of their own, got up about 3:30 a.m. to be with Little Mama as she went into labor.

“I thought it was done when she had eight puppies, and then there were eight more the next morning,” said Lamar Williams, who is training to become a veterinary technician. “But then she just kept popping them out and I said, 'Oh, my God!' "

When Little Mama was finally finished, she picked up one pup and set it in Williams’ lap. Twenty of the 23 pups survived, and Williams said he couldn’t have been more proud.

“I’m very emotional, and I treat my dogs like kids,” Williams said. “Two of the puppies were born dead and we didn’t see another one until later, because it was caught underneath the mother and died, but I still tried to revive all three.”

Another pup stumbled into mom’s water dish and wasn’t breathing, but Williams revived it.
Article, photographs and video here...

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/surp...6a5c157367.htm

And he wants to continue breeding?! It is a pity he bred this litter when he did not already have prospective homes for these puppies.

Your comments and views:
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-05-2014, 03:34 PM
Well mum is a year old and it was an unplanned pregnancy apparently. Also the pups don't look fawn, red or brindle to me. So maybe the dad isn't who they think it is.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

29-05-2014, 03:46 PM
Oh dear a year old. The pups look black and white to me.

Doesn't the article say he is training to be a vet technician you would think he would know better.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-05-2014, 03:51 PM
I know, they either look patchy or all black, which I guess could be brindle but the patchy ones ain't Bull mastiffs.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

30-05-2014, 04:56 PM
Very cute - but they don't look like Bullmastiff pups to me either.
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-05-2014, 05:23 PM
Feel really sorry for the mum They said she gets tired of them quickly, no wonder! There's 20 of them!
I also don't think the dad can be a Bullmastiff, so they're either lying or he really has no idea about dog breeding so he really shouldn't continue doing it.. Ah well.

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top