register for free

Dog News

Newfoundland dogs haul Christmas trees for charity

A pack of Newfoundland dogs, owned by members of the Aqua Nova Water Bears training club, has been drafted in to help carry Christmas trees back to visitors' cars at Dalby Forest Visitor Centre, North Yorkshire, with donations for each tree transported being split between two charities.

The “gentle giants”, who can weigh up to 12 stone, are helping to raise money for the Yorkshire Air Ambulance and Scarborough and Ryedale Mountain Rescue Team in two events organised by the Forestry Commission.

Newfoundlands were used as working dogs by fishermen. Strong swimmers, they have webbed feet and work as water rescue dogs. Speaking of their nature, Yvonne Bone, who coordinates the Newfoundland group, said:

“They are docile and wonderful with children, but because they are such a big dog they are more of a lifestyle than a pet. They are a little known breed in the UK, but we are dedicated to keeping them active doing the things they were bred for. They love being out and working at Christmas.”

Kate Thorn, Forestry Commission Recreation Manager, explained that real trees use fewer materials and less energy to produce than artificial trees, and said:

“It's a fantastic crowd pleasing way to buy a tree and have the dogs tow it back to the car in a cart.”

The dogs were in action on the weekend of 10/11 December at Dalby Forest and will continue on the weekend of 17/18 December. A traditional English green Father Christmas is in attendance and forest toll charges are refunded upon purchasing a tree.

Your comments and views:
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

12-12-2011, 11:54 AM
At last a 'Good News' story that I can really empathise with (I was beginning to get paranoid about all the bad news / cruelty to dogs stories recently)

I can't think of a better way to introduce these wonderful creatures to the public at large, of course I'm biased but I can tell you all that these dogs love people and love doing things like this, it's no effort for them, I have seen pictures of six dogs in the 1890's hauling 100 foot long trees in Canada.

Lucky Star - Thank you for spotting this.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

12-12-2011, 12:03 PM
Its a wonderful sight.

They do this at Elvedon forest in Thetford Norfolk too.
We went along a couple of years ago to watch them. Not sure why they don't have Bernese doing this as well they are more than capable.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

12-12-2011, 12:24 PM
"Not sure why they don't have Bernese doing this as well they are more than capable"

Now that would be a sight to gladden the heart wouldn't it

A Newfie and a Bernese side by side, they could haul a Xmas tree as big as your house
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

12-12-2011, 12:48 PM
Now theres a thought take the house with you.
marianne38
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-12-2011, 01:41 PM
Just don,t tie your dogs to a caravan. lol
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

12-12-2011, 04:07 PM
marianne - Once when I was unloading the weekly shop from the trolley into the car I made the mistake of tying ours to the trolley, they saw OH comming out of the supermarket and took off, towing the trolley (and half the weekly shop) behind them, swinging from side to side, and causing shoppers strolling back to their cars to jump out of the way
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2011, 04:15 PM
Losos, so funny!

They are gorgeous dogs . One of the teachers at my daughter's old pre-school had a couple and brought them in so that the children could meet them. A great success!
marianne38
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-12-2011, 05:57 PM
Ha, thats really funny! how embarrassing.

I would of said " whos dog is that? "

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top