register for free

Dog News

Loyal Monty saves owner after 40 ft fall down a ravine

Monty the labradoodle has been praised for his loyalty after his owner fell 40 ft down a ravine into the River Camel in Bodmin, Cornwall. The fall left 73-year-old Grandfather, Maurice Holder, injured and unconscious. When he came to, 11-year-old Monty was still by his side, watching over him, but the tidal water had risen to chest level.

Mr Holder described how he and Monty had been walking along the river bank when he heard a loud rumble and the ground beneath him suddenly gave way. When he regained consciousness, Monty guided him back up the steep bank to safety and left him, returning around 15 minutes later with help. He had run to a nearby pub – the Borough Arms - and barked until a customer came out and followed him to his injured owner. The man was able to help Mr Holder to his car and call an ambulance.

Because of serious head injuries, medics told Mr Holder that the accident could have been fatal if treatment had been delayed. Mr Holder admitted he had feared he might have lain undiscovered on the bank for hours, or even days, because the accident took place “off the beaten track”. Monty's quick intervention ensured that his owner received prompt treatment for the head injuries and broken ribs during a two-day stay in hospital.

After returning to the accident spot, Mr Holder was amazed at how far he'd fallen. “When I saw how far I fell I couldn't believe it,” he said. “Monty is absolutely the perfect pet. I wouldn't say he is always the best behaved but he is loyal and that's what matters – man's best friend.”

Your comments and views:
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-01-2012, 11:19 AM
what a lovely story. well done to Monty for saving his owner.
maryl
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-01-2012, 01:33 PM
Clever boy Monty Eleven years old too, bless him.
Hippo
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-01-2012, 02:32 PM
We are all so, so lucky to have dogs in our lives! Well done Monty
Chocolatechien
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-01-2012, 08:45 AM
Warms the cockles doesn't it!
Myork
New Member!
Female 

07-02-2012, 11:56 AM
What a dog! Go Monty

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top