register for free

Dog News

How Our Dog Obsession May Actually Be Making Their Lives Miserable

Our friendly domestic dogs have come a long way from their wolf ancestors, and it's all thanks to us.

"Somehow there's this misconception that dog breeds actually exist -- like dachshunds are a natural thing in the world," Dr. Louise Murray, vice president of the ASPCA Animal Hospital, told The Huffington Post. "We think, there are frogs, and there are chickens, and there are dachshunds. But of course you don't realize until later that they're just human constructs."

We love having dogs around -- in fact, between 37 and 47 percent of U.S. households own at least one dog, according to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. That's about 70 or 80 million dogs overall. And while estimates differ, between one-third and one-half of those dogs are believed to be purebred, born of incestuous pairings. As a result, many purebred dogs are now facing an abundance of health problems, and many of their human companions have begun to question the ethics of it all.
More here..
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...n_6598664.html

Your comments and views:
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2015, 10:58 PM
Excellent article, Meg, thanks very much for posting that.

Takes us right back to Mark Evans' "Parade of Mutants"!

With the possible exception of an Alaskan Malamute, I personally would never buy a pedigree dog - I may rescue one, but would never buy one. I do not believe in close breeding, or closed gene pools, but do believe in hybrid vigour and a good old mixing up of the cards to get as much genetic variance as possible.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2015, 12:00 AM
Agreed. Genetic mutants such as bulldogs, bloodhounds, pekingese, shar pei, show grade chows and shepherds are... imo abominations made and modified by man. Many of them can't breathe, see, or move properly. The only pure bred dog I'd ever consider, despite my love for the Labrador, would be the Rhodesian Ridgeback. I encourage people to buy the kinds of dogs they want, but I don't support breeders that are adding intentionally defective dogs to the world.

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top