register for free

Dog News

ISPCA campaign to stop illegal tail docking

The Irish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ISPCA) has launched a campaign highlighting the practice of illegal tail docking in dogs.

In the past it was standard practice to dock the tails of certain breeds, however new laws were introduced in Ireland in March 2014, banning docking for cosmetic reasons.

There are exceptions for certain working dogs or medical treatment, but docking can now only be carried out by a vet. However, according to ISPCA chief inspector Conor Dowling there are few vets in Ireland prepared to do it.

“This is because Veterinary Ireland, the representative body for vets, has advised its members not to perform the procedure,” Conor told H&C. "They do not believe that there is evidence to support the argument that prophylactic docking of working dogs’ tails prevents tail injuries later in life.

“While some vets may choose to ignore this instruction and face sanction from Veterinary Ireland, the vast majority will not dock puppies tails regardless of the legalities, unless it is medically necessary.”

Despite the new laws, and the reluctance of vets to carry out the practice, illegal docking is still widespread in Ireland. The ISPCA recently rescued 28 puppies of various breeds that were being sold at a horse fair in County Galway. They all had their tails illegally removed without anaesthetic and for purely aesthetic reasons.

ISPCA ambassador Caroline Morahan hopes the charity’s ‘Get Tails Wagging’ campaign will put an end to this “unnecessary suffering”.

“As a huge animal lover, I can’t imagine the extreme pain and distress these defenceless puppies endured,” she said. “A dog’s tail is an important tool in canine social behaviour and with the loss of their tails, it will affect their ability to communicate and express themselves throughout their entire lives.”

The docking of dogs' tails was banned in England and Wales in 2007 and Northern Ireland in 2011, other than for medical reasons or on certain working breeds. Since 2007 Scotland has imposed a total ban on all ‘non-therapeutic tail docking’, with no exceptions. It is also an offence take a dog out of Scotland to have them docked elsewhere.

Conor is calling for anyone in Ireland that buys a puppy with a docked tail to report it to the Gardaí or the ISPCA national animal cruelty helpline on 890 515 515.

”If your new puppy’s tail has been docked, it has been done so illegally,” he said.
Article and photograph here...

http://www.horseandcountry.tv/news/2...l-tail-docking

I still feel guilt at having my Griffon puppies' tails docked on the third of fourth day after their birth, even though it was then - many years ago - the norm and done according to the Breed Standard at that time.

Your comments and views:
SusieL
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-11-2014, 04:46 PM
Sounds like progress at last.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2014, 09:09 PM
Malka - ditto for me but my puppies were German short haired pointers. I will never forget the screams of those sweet puppies as their tails were cut off with scissors. It was
absolutely horrific and barbaric with no anaesthetic and for absolutely no good reason whatsoever. I know all the arguments about tails being broken and caught in brambles and wot knot, I care not a fig. A dog should have a tail ... The tail they were born with ... End of.

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top