register for free

Dog News

Terrier savaged to death by two dogs behind former Dundee pub

A pensioner has been left devastated after her terrier was killed by two other dogs outside a former Dundee pub.

Jean Traynor, 74, was walking Benji on Perrie Street at about 6.30pm on Sunday when he was set upon by two Doberman-type dogs.

She said their owner fell on to the grass after she lost control of them and they ripped Benji’s throat.

Benji — a former Tele Pet of the Week — died on Monday morning despite vets fighting to save his life.

Jean said: “I was just standing behind the Planet Bar with Benji, when a woman with two big black dogs walked by. They may have been Dobermans — they were black and had pointy ears, but I couldn’t tell for sure as it was dark.

“They started tugging on their leads and dragged her along, she then fell on the grass.

“She was screaming ‘no, no, no!’ as they attacked Benji.

“They bit his throat, and I was terrified.

“She eventually managed to get them off, but Benji couldn’t breathe.
“I took him to the vet and phoned the police.”

Benji, who was between 10 and 12 years old, was put on a drip, but Jean didn’t hold out much hope for her pet due to his injuries.

She now wants to trace the owner of the two dogs, who left the scene shortly after the incident. Jean added: “The vets tried their best, but said they didn’t have much hope.

“He died just after 3am yesterday, in his sleep.

“Benji was such a placid dog, I didn’t expect this to happen — I’m devastated.
“I got him for Christmas from a shelter after seeing a Pet of the Week feature in the Tele.

“He’d been with me for three years.”

Jean’s daughter Doreen Rowan has been spreading the word on social media, helped by the Missing Pets Dundee and Angus Social Media group.

She said: “My mum is heartbroken, she’s been crying all day.”

Linda Quinn, founder of the Missing Pets page, added: “What a horrific thing to have to witness. It was a terrible attack.”

A police spokeswoman said: “Police Scotland is aware of the incident and officers have made initial inquiries into the matter.”
Article and photograph here...

http://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/ne...e-pub-1.773215

Poor little Benji - I hope the owner of the dogs who killed him is found and the dogs are kept muzzled when out. But why keep dogs if you cannot control them?

Your comments and views:
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2015, 11:56 AM
Poor wee Benji,that's heartbreaking.
Aslanda
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-01-2015, 08:34 AM
I agree with you Malka, I also hope & pray the owner of the dogs is found. They should also fine the owner heavily for the attack & confiscate the dogs from the owner.

When people adopt dogs etc, always get a breed that you know you can control & keep them on a lead, no longer than 182.88 centimeters {6 feet}.

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top