register for free

Dog News

10 Reasons Adopted Senior Dogs and Cats are Great for Kids

Adopting a dog or cat is an exciting time for every member of the family — especially for the kids. While they may want to take home a puppy or kitten (who can resist those little faces?), there are a lot of excellent reasons to consider adopting a senior dog or cat. Here are just a few of the many reasons older pets are great for families.
Photographs and the other reasons here..

http://www.petmd.com/dog/slideshows/...ent=NWS_senior

A nice smile feature!

Your comments and views:
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-06-2014, 01:51 AM
Thank you, thank you!!!! What a heart warming slide show and I couldn't agree more! We never even considered puppies for just those reasons. One of the absolute best things about adopting an adult or senior is that they're so grateful. Unlike a puppy an adult might well know what hunger or negligence feels like. You can feel their happiness at being finally comfortable and secure.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-06-2014, 07:30 AM
Amid the sad and bad stories there come the good, like this one. Not enough of them but those that do appear really are wonderful!

I am so glad you liked it!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2014, 07:58 AM
I think you need to be really certain of the dogs history.
A dog who is not used to young children being hugged, lifted and squeezed like some of those is just an accident waiting to happen
Just my opinion.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-06-2014, 08:03 AM
The article did not say to give just any dog or cat to a family with a young child. It was fairly clear as to what dog or cat might be suitable, and why.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-06-2014, 12:33 AM
And besides, dogs and children, particularly if both are older can learn to get along. Sophie is petrified of strange children, always has been. But my special needs kid...she's totally patient with her. We knew nothing of either of our dog's history. But I took my daughter to meet Callie at the shelter. She took his leash and he slowed himself down to her speed. With the right dog you just know it's a good fit sometimes.

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top