register for free

Dog News

Dogs visit campus to help soothe student stress

Students living on a college campus were given the opportunity to meet and cuddle pets in an event partly aimed at reducing student stress. Six animals from the Humane Society of St Joseph County, Indiana, including five dogs and a rabbit, were brought along to Notre Dame's Knights of Columbus building for the “Puppy Days” event.

The event was well attended by more than 500 students. Event coordinator Lizzie Helping, a sophomore, explained that because the students are isolated on the campus, they miss their pets and the relaxing effect of petting an animal. “This gives students a taste of home and shows them the responsibilities of owning a pet just out of college, she said. She explained that the dogs benefit too by having time out of the shelter for love and treats.

The dogs chosen to participate in the event were those that could handle a crowd. Genny Carlson from the Humane Society said she welcomed the chance to come to campus and that it gave them a chance to promote volunteering to students. The campus has an on-site organisation, Circle K, who support the Humane Society by volunteering to spend time with the animals, walking them and train them for adoption.

Your comments and views:
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

05-12-2011, 03:47 PM
A lovely story and I'm sure the students will benefit but I do hope that none of them decide to do yet another treatise or end of year paper on "How stroking your dog can help you relax"

It's been done already, lots of times, and by students and researchers on both sides of the Atlantic, it's a KNOWN fact and if I read any more reports about a unniversity handing out funds to someone to research this I'll go mad

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top