register for free

Dog News

Couple lose over $1000 in online puppy scam

A Canadian couple who placed an advert for a puppy on an online classified ad website have been conned out of more than $1000 by an out of province scammer. Roger and Shelly Hunt wanted a husky puppy. With Roger Hunt off work on disability, they didn't want to pay a large amount of money, so placed the advert, hoping to find a dog needing a good home. An e-mail arrived from “Caroline”, explaining that her daughter had died, leaving Bella, a 13-week-old husky puppy, and offering to give them the puppy for free, if the Hunts paid the travelling costs. After seeing pictures of a husky puppy, the Hunts “fell in love”.

Travel arrangements were apparently made and the Hunts sent money to “Caroline”. “Caroline” e-mailed a travel itinerary and the Hunts prepared to collect their puppy from the airport. However, on the morning of collection, an e-mail from “Caroline” stated that Toronto airport would not transport Bella any farther because the transport company had “failed to collect insurance on the pet”. The pup would be stuck there until a fee of $1300 was paid. The Hunts managed to transfer $750, with “Caroline” agreeing to pay the balance and refund the Hunts later.

Having bought toys and dog food, the Hunts travelled to the airport to collect their new puppy. There was no puppy, nor any record of any puppy travelling. In total, they lost $1047.

Because “Caroline” is in a different province, there is not much that can be done. A police spokesperson said that fraud over the internet is common, especially around the Christmas period and warned people to be “savvy”.

Your comments and views:
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-11-2011, 02:40 PM
Happening more and more...
You can spot them ..
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-11-2011, 02:45 PM
And Caroline will be in a very far Provence most probably Lagos....
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2011, 02:49 PM
This is such a well known scam - it's been around for years.

Usually chihuahuas and the sob story and only 'travel costs' required.

I've passed on the warning about it many times in the past.

Unfortunately, while there are still those who will fall for it, it will continue.

No such thing as a free lunch. It's no more real than the Nigerian Princes and professors who offer you a fortune if you will help them cash in their inheritances etc. Just that they use dogs as the hook.

Look up the average cost of buying one of the dogs involved. WHY ON EARTH would anyone give the pups away? If all they wanted was to make sure they had a good home, they'd give them to a breed rescue.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-11-2011, 02:53 PM
A user here had pics of their dog used on Craigs list in the states on some kinda scam...
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2011, 03:08 PM
Oh yes they will nick the photos from anywhere (well they have to don't they? They don't actually have any dogs!)

And the same advertisers advertise across the board of popular breeds. But the first warning bell should sound for anyone with a modicum of common sense when they see they are not asking any MONEY! (Well not directly anyway!)
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-11-2011, 03:26 PM
How upsetting for this couple. They were probably more upset at not getting the dog than losing the money though.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

30-11-2011, 04:28 PM
"Because Caroline is in a different province........" hmmmm that sounds incredibly naive, if she was in any Canadian province the Police would stand a slight chance of catching 'her' what that statement should have said was "Because Caroline is in a different country........"

I agree with Murf, number one suspect is Nigeria.

Although (as Tangutica has said) it is easy to spot these fraudsters I do feel some sympathy for the couple who clearly wanted a Husky puppy.
chaospony
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-11-2011, 06:30 PM
This is a very old scam, it is a shame people still fall for it, worst part is they could have easily bought a pup, or rescued a dog for much less than they sent. I had the scammers try to get me when I sold a horse, they say they want to buy the animal but need it shipping, you so they send a check which includes shipping fees and have the transporter show up before the check can clear, which then you are meant to pay the transporter. Ends with you no longer having a horse and no payment and out the transport cost! The cheeky so and so's!!! I told the ones I had send me that email that my horse was not going to any one that would not view him in person! Then I found a site that can track IP address and most of these were in Africa, so where do these horses end up???? Most likely taken to the nearest slaughter house!

There are some really horrid people out there!
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2011, 01:18 AM
Someone in the US uesed a piccie of Zane. I did manage to get it taken down but not until it had been there for abotu a fortnight. I just hope nobody parted with money based on that picture.

Unfortunatelythis is an old scam but until you know how things work, many of us are far too trusting. After all, who would like about the death of a daughter etc?!

I answered a scam ad a while ago. I stated that travel/transport didn't need to be arranged nd that I would pick up thedog. Of course I knew there was no dog and had no intention of paying any money. I was fobbed off for a while then all communication was stopped. Unfortunately I never did get an address out of the scammer (which was my original intention).

People who do this are scum, particularly at this time of year and in this climate too when people really don't have spare cash to lose. It's a shame something can't be done about these people.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top