register for free

Dog News

Abandoned on Christmas day

A ten-year-old dog was found abandoned on a country road on Christmas day. The dog, a spaniel setter cross, was found in a distressed state on the unclassified Muirkirk to Strathaven road in Lanarkshire that evening after a local resident noticed a car stopping.

The dog has been named Winter and is being looked after at the Scottish SPCA's Lanarkshire Animal Rescue and Rehoming Centre. A spokesperson for the centre confirmed that the driver of the car appeared to have let the dog out in the cold and rain and just driven away, not caring what happened to Winter. “He was very lucky someone found him and called us because he could just as easily have run off or been knocked down by a car and killed,” the spokesperson said.

Winter was not micro chipped and wore no collar. The Scottish SPCA said it is possible that Winter might have been dumped to make way for a new puppy and would like to find whoever abandoned him in such a callous way.

Anyone with any information should contact the Animal Helpline on 03000 999 999.

Scottish SPCA say that all calls are in the strictest confidence.

See here for update (Winter has a new home): http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=162971

Your comments and views:
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2011, 05:47 PM
Just despicable, shame the people didn't get a registration number. I hope Winter finds a lovely home.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2011, 06:48 PM
Ditto above - callous beyond belief
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2011, 07:02 PM
Evil people. Poor Winter. Hope he gets a lovely new home very soon.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2011, 07:47 PM
I'm sure Winter will get the loving, warm home he deserves very quickly - he sounds like a little love and surely undeserving of such cruelty.

As for the perpetrator of this vile deed, nothing short of extreme torture would be enough for me, in fact I'd like to inflict some of it please......
Ollies mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-12-2011, 08:17 PM
This really sickens me-

possibly-out with the old and in with the new-which next year will be "the old"

I would join you Vicki in inflicting some of the torture to the "owners"
God knows what could have happened to the poor boy-so glad he was found and really hope he finds a lovely home soon
Maureen
maryl
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-12-2011, 09:48 PM
I am with you on this Vicki, I could literally flog them!
Poor old boy, ten years old. Thank the Lord he was spotted - oh it doesn't bare thinking about if he hadn't.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2011, 05:59 PM
It says the dog MAY have been abandoned perhaps it wandered? Hope the dog finds a home soon.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2011, 08:28 PM
"MAY"?
Are you serious?
Perhaps he just let it out of the car for a wee and will be back soon...........
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2011, 10:44 AM
Was it tied up and left?
I just hope that if my boy ever found himself on the country lanes here that if his collar was off and his chip dint scan ppl wouldn't assume he was abandoned thats all.
I know if someone tried to take him he'd slip a collar and run...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top