register for free

Dog News

Dogs lost out to rowing

Double Olympic champion Pete Reed says he questioned his future in rowing when he found out he had dog allergies which were affecting his performance.

Reed, 32, who has lived with dogs for three years, struggled in winter training and could barely breathe as he crossed the line in April's GB trials.

His mum then suggested he could have a dog allergy, like his father developed at 32, and tests proved conclusive.

"It turns out I love rowing more than dogs," said Reed.

"And it turns out my wife loves me more than the dogs. We went through the process a couple of weeks ago of re-housing Maximus and Sky and we have cleaned our flat to get rid of all the dog hairs."
Read more...http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rowing/27449810

I cannot help feeling sorry for the dogs.

Your comments and views:
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2014, 03:59 PM
Well hopefully the dogs have been re-homed somewhere nice. It makes sense that his career came before the dogs. At least he didn't try to keep them and cage them up or fling them outside to curb his allergies. I think he did the right thing.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2014, 06:05 PM
I don't feel sorry for the dogs. Far better for them to be rehomed with someone who doesn't have to keep them isolated. Or outside, or caged or whatever.

He did the right and responsible thing. Lordy if that were one of your kids would you insist on keeping a pet that was making them ILL? It's a no brainer for me.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2014, 06:09 PM
I know someone who had extreme pet allergies. Not funny to see when their whole face swells and goes livid red and their eyes puff up and close up and they CAN'T BREATHE!

He was allergic to cat fur and also horses - long time ago now. But his family ran a racing horse stud so it was a real problem for him. He was the only one who couldn't work in the family business. Even driving the vehicle that towed the horse boxes caused him to be ill because of traces left in the cab by others who handled the horses.

Where the cats were concerned, he only had to walk into a house that had them to start swelling up and feeling ill even with none in the room.

The guy in the story could BARELY BREATHE. His dogs did not 'lose out to rowing' in a 'daddy or chips' toss up.

He sensibly put his HEALTH first. You can't even look after a dog if you can BARELY BREATHE.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2014, 10:16 AM
I agree, Tang. The statement he made that said "Turns out I love rowing more than dogs." I think is what kinda made it seem a little EHH to Malka, I suppose. That statement could have been omitted TBH.

I still think that if the dogs are getting in the way of his career and what means most to him, it's kindest to re-home them somewhere they can get the proper attention and whatnot.

P.S.
I know how awful severe allergies can be, and in the case that you have them.... keeping the pets is nearly not an option no matter how much you love them.

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top