register for free

Dog News

Couple who faced jail after causing unnecessary suffering to their dog win appeal

A couple who were sentenced to 16 weeks in prison after causing unnecessary suffering to their springer spaniel, and failing to look after the welfare of their other pets, have won an appeal against the sentence. Their prison sentences were suspended for 12-months with a 12-month supervision order and they each had to pay Ł282 in court costs.

The RSPCA were originally alerted to the couple in August 2010 by an anonymous tip off and after a year spent trying to get inside the house, they had to call the police to help them do so. They found springer spaniel Jerry in a terrible state with hair so long and matted, it caused him difficulty in walking. They also found a Jack Russell eating out of a basket with empty drink bottles and food bowls inside and discovered a cockatiel’s cage full of mouldy faeces.

The jail sentence was originally given because of the prolonged suffering caused by the couple, Kim Cairns and David Richardson who, after being arrested, had admitted they should have had Jerry groomed but were ashamed of his condition.

Jerry had to be put too sleep.

After the appeal hearing, RSPCA inspector Helen Bestwick said: “I accept that the couple have some problems, but they chose not to get any help. The sentence was a tough one, but it reflected the seriousness of the harm done.”

Your comments and views:
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-02-2012, 10:39 PM
so they effectively killed a dog through neglect and have the gall to appeal there pathetic sentence... and win??

justice?

disgusts me
poochslave
New Member!
Female 

01-03-2012, 08:19 AM
Justice does not exist, it is a joke. I wouldn't call 16 weeks in prison a fair sentence for causing so much suffering to those poor animals, I'd say 16 years would have been fairer and yet they eventually get no punishment at all. How long will it be before they get yet more poor animals to cause suffering to and if reported again no doubt come up with yet another excuse?
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2012, 01:14 PM
Agree with Brundog - its a joke and disgusting!
Crazymoon
New Member!
Female 

03-03-2012, 02:42 AM
Why would the springer spaniel be PTS because of the matted fur? There must have been something else too.
mitzi's mum
New Member!
Female 

05-03-2012, 01:41 PM
Words fail me this is so typical. Owners know they will get away with it. 16 weeks was certainly not a long enough sentence, they appeal and basically get off - disgusting

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top