register for free

Dog News

Newfoundland dog bled to death from botched routine castration operation

...has received 12 comments (page 2)
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2014, 04:15 AM
In America, you can't sue for something like this. I mean you CAN, but you won't have a case. All they'll give you is the approximate face value of your dog. Dogs are considered property, damages to them only come in approximate worth and you can't claim pain and suffering, malpractice, or anything like that.

Also, because no amount of money will ever make it better, they often look at it like that and dismiss your case altogether. Maybe in the UK you have more power regarding dogs, but I'd never sue because it would only be a huge hassle for you and likely yield nearly nothing.

Best case is the vet loses his license and they give you enough money to get another dog and pay for all the dead dogs final expenses. A "sorry" is really all you'll get in most places here. It's why lawsuits in these cases are very rare, you don't have much of a case most of the time.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-06-2014, 09:28 AM
Yes, I suspect that you could be right.
Some 40 years ago, a local dog person left her Irish Setter with a vet for a dental polish at the start of the show season. When she went to collect it, the vet had castrated it! The story made both the local and National news, but she settled of court.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2014, 02:47 PM
They probably paid her for her dog's value and probably a bit of money for the show or something they DQ'd her from, but she likely got little else. You can't really sue in these cases worth anything.

There was a lawsuit I heard about ages ago when a groomer botched up a haircut for a show dog, ruining his chances of showing for 2 years or something as ALL the hair had to grow back and then be re-cut.

The case was dismissed, the judge claimed no real damages were done... she owed them nothing further than the refund she had already given them and her apology.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top