register for free

Dog News

Leptospirosis vet warning

...has received 11 comments (page 2)
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2014, 06:06 AM
It is very rare for it to be caused by a bite but I believe it is possible if the rat has recently groomed itself after passing through urine. It is also possible that the opening up of a wound allowed urine/water infected urine in to the bloodstream from the surrounding area, however I know for a fact this happened on a sunny day and the dog went straight home and had his wound bathed in clean saltwater.

He had two strains of lepto one vaccinatable and one unvaccinatable. Apparently the unvaccinatable one has recently come in to the Uk and is normal found in areas like New Zealand, sadly our warm summer allowed it to survive.

When I spoke to my vet he said he had seen three cases of lepto in his career and all were not vaccinated, neither was my neighbours dog. Lepto is a yearly vaccine although it is believed to only last 8 months and in high risk areas it is sometimes given every 6 months. There are currently two lepto vaccines on the market, Lepto 2 and Lepto 4. Lepto 2 vaccinates against two strains and Lepto 4 against 4. Lepto 4 is relatively new on the market and requires two injections in the first year of use I think they need to be 28 days apart. Lepto 4 cannot be used with one of the other core vaccines but I cannot remember which and I don't have a proper internet connection in order to research it!

It has to be said mine spend time ratting in the exact same area that my neighbours dog got bitten and they wade in and out of water (with cuts on them) that rats have definitely been in. If anyone's dog was going to get lepto out of mine and my neighbours really it should have been mine but then they are all vaccinated...
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-04-2014, 08:15 AM
Ive read previously that lepto vacc only provides cover for 6-8months so if that be true then most dogs arent covered for about half the year?

I had my boy titred last time his was due and he was still well covered
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top