register for free

Dog News

Leptospirosis vet warning

Vets in Chicago are warning about a bacterial disease affecting dogs and their owners - Leptospirosis - anyone heard of it? Have any cases in the UK ever been reported?

Veterinarians warn that people and dogs can become infected through contact with contaminated urine, other body fluids except saliva, water or soil.

The infection can cause flu-like symptoms in dogs, including fevers, and can lead to organ failure if left untreated.
Full story: http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local...#ixzz2y8V5CQmv

Your comments and views:
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-04-2014, 07:46 PM
Leptospirosis is commonly vaccinated against in continental Europe, I've never encountered a case though.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-04-2014, 07:46 PM
That's why we vaccinate against it. Known as Weils disease in humans isn't it? A bloke my husband works with ended up in hospital with it last year, they wear gloves when handling food waste etc ( Tesco HGV drivers) but rats get everywhere no matter what they do.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

06-04-2014, 07:58 PM
Apparently around 40 people a year get it in the uk, mainly sewage workers, travellers who swim in rivers (didn't know that was exclusive to travellers) etc etc
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2014, 08:32 PM
My neighbours dog died of lepto after being bitten by a rat His organs shut down, it was a horrible drawn out process.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2014, 09:30 PM
Same as Weil's I think. Not common in UK.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-04-2014, 09:42 PM
There are two forms of Leptospirosis - Canicola and Icterohaemorrhagiae. Both are covered by the multiple vaccines, but should be boostered annually. Lately, many vets are recommending a three year booster protocol, and it is possible that this is providing an opportunity for these conditions to reappear.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

06-04-2014, 09:47 PM
We have a 3 year protocol have done for ages but lepto is still done annually.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2014, 05:05 AM
Leptospirosis can be transmitted to humans. Is not common though, neither are canine cases here in Atlanta.

Must say, from what my vet told me, it cannot be transmitted through the bite of a rat... but only via water infected with rat urine (or other vermin). So that is the first I've heard of rat BITES causing it.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2014, 05:13 AM
Yes that was my understanding too Myra. The reference to water being an exception I found a bit puzzling.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top