register for free

Dog News

Success for driving rescue dogs Monty and Porter

Two clever rescue dogs from the Auckland SCA, who spent weeks learning to drive, have put their training into practice. In a demonstration aired live on national television, the headline making dogs both successfully drove a modified Mini down a racetrack. The display, featuring giant schnauzer cross Monty and beardie cross Porter, was part of a campaign to show the potential of dogs in SPCA care and encourage their adoption.

[The original story was reported here: Dogs taught to drive]

Monty successfully started the car, put it in gear, drove 70 meters and stopped the car.

"It's all the dog doing it," said trainer Mark Vette as Monty drove solo. "He's started the key, put the paw on the brake to allow it to go into gear, put it into drive, paw on the steering wheel, accelerator on, and off he goes down the track."

The Mini has handles fitted on the steering wheel, a dashboard-height brake and accelerator pedals, together with a speed limiter to restrict it to walking pace. However, Vette described how there had been a slight mishap that morning. “The knob came off this morning and he was off down the road at about 30km/h and we had to chase after him.”

Porter was set the task of steering around a bend with a TV reporter in the passenger seat. He was mostly successful, apart form drifting onto the grass verge at one point.

The dogs had undergone training with Vette and his team for 12 weeks, including five weeks of simulated training to learn braking, steering and gear shifting.

A spokeswoman for SPCA said there had been “considerable interest” in adopting the dogs but a new home had to be “the right home.” She added that there were other “smart dogs” waiting for adoption too.

Christine Kalin, chief executive of Auckland Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals said: “Some people think that by getting a shelter dog they're somehow getting a second-class citizen but we're with these dogs every day, we know how wonderful they are. This was an opportunity to show New Zealand and, as it's turned out, the world how amazing these animals are.”

Watch here:

Driving dogs test out their skills on the track - Campbell Live - Video - 3 News

Your comments and views:
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-12-2012, 07:08 PM
I saw this on the TV and wondered if it was a joke ,
amazing....
Azz
Administrator
Male 

12-12-2012, 02:31 PM
Well done Monty and Porter, and of course the SCA! What a brilliant way to draw attention to the plight of rescue dogs will be interesting to know whether it impacts re-homing applications.
LPC
New Member!
Male 

21-05-2013, 08:15 AM
I was fascinated to watch this video. In one sense it is truly amazing, but I can see no reason why, with further training, a dog could not become even more proficient than shown here.
hannahlw85
New Member!
Female 

30-12-2013, 08:12 PM
I think it's amazing what can come of training. I'm on my 3rd rescue dogs and have enjoyed training them all sorts, I think my last dog could have got somewhere near to doing this as he was very bright and enjoyed to learn.

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top