register for free

Dog News

The strange profusion of portmanteau dog names

There have always been some dog owners who favoured "pedigree" breeds over mongrels, but now there's a wave of interest in crossbreeds with strange portmanteau names.

What to call your dog has never been more important. Not its given name, but its portmanteau moniker - is it a Goldendoodle or a Puggle? A Jackhuahua or a Poochon?

The trend for crossbreeds - and their combined names - really took off with the Labradoodle, first bred by Wally Conron from Australia's Royal Guide Dog Association. When asked to provide a guide dog for a visually impaired woman whose husband had a dog allergy, he came up with a successful mix of Labrador retriever and Standard poodle. Labradoodles quickly became hugely popular family pets, as did the smaller Cockapoo - a Cocker Spaniel/Poodle cross which is also used as a hearing dog for deaf people.
Full article and photos here...

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-26828364

Would you give your crossbreed a "designer name to make him or her sound special? Would you want to have DNA tests done to find out what your companion is?

Or are you happy just accepting them as a crossbreed or a mongrel/mutt, as I call my beloved Pereg.

Your comments and views:
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-05-2014, 08:45 AM
Frankie my terrier is of indeterminate parentage and I feel no need to know what breeds he's made up of. He does have a designer name though he's a "JINJA NINJA"
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-05-2014, 09:09 AM
Frankie my terrier is of indeterminate parentage and I feel no need to know what breeds he's made up of. He does have a designer name though he's a "JINJA NINJA"

Trouble
I love it! Pereg's designer name is unmentionable!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2014, 10:09 AM
Jade is supposedly a "German Bull" (GSD/pit bull)... but we think the breeder was just saying something. Nobody ever saw the father of the puppies (the mother was pure bred GSD). But Jade looks like she might have some beagle in her or something. I just call her a GSD mix since she is at least half GSD.

Nigredo is ALL kinds of mystery mutt. People always ask me what breed he is, because he is an unusual (but very stunning) looking dog. Looks kinda like a Labrador, but has a curly tail, double rear dewclaws (with bones, not attached only by skin) and thick, fluffy-ish coat.

I always say "IDK, he's some kind of mutt". Honestly that is what I say each time. I usually label him a Lab mix on sites and whatnot, but in reality I'm not even sure he has any Labrador, might be flat coated or something else IDK.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2014, 12:24 PM
Can't see any harm in it personally. There's so many interesting names now that the 'designer' part is less of a draw nowadays.

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top