register for free

Dog News

Doga – yoga with your dog

Owners around the world are enjoying yoga sessions with their dogs. Known as doga, the practice has attracted followers in Japan, New York and Hong Kong. Classes involve stretching with the dog and massage, and sometimes chanting at a pitch suitable for dogs to copy.

The practice is purported to appeal to the dog's “natural instinct to stretch” and participants say it helps the pets relax and promotes bonding.

Suzi Teitelman, a doga teacher in New York and Florida, described one of the moves: “... with the dog lying flat on their owner's chest with their legs long and open.” The Chief of Veterinary Medicine at a New York animal shelter who hosts classes said that she sees a reduction in stress and anxiety in dogs attending the classes.

Doga classes in Hong Kong

Your comments and views:
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2012, 12:16 PM
I'm sorry.. I see that and I just imagine trying it with Kismet.. I mean eating the other dogs aside... I'd love to post a video of me trying this with a full grown husky!
kazer
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-01-2012, 01:09 PM
There is no way I could do this with a 37 kilo greyhound!
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2012, 01:24 PM
LOL at above posts. Must admit ist thing I thought was how do you do thay with a medium to large sized dog.
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

12-01-2012, 09:48 PM
In my experience, trying to do Downward Facing Dog with an actual dog in the room results in interrupted yoga session and chaos! Clearly, it got interpreted as a play bow...
Manyana13
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-01-2012, 02:00 AM
I think it is a great idea but my dogs would be bouncing off the walls!!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2012, 09:47 AM
If I lie on the floor I am submerged under 3 or 4 large dogs shoving toys in my face. What boring people these must be.

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top