register for free

Dog News

Pensioner badly bitten by an Akita

A terrified pensioner feared he would lose an arm when he was savaged by a fighting dog just days after his adopted daughter died.

Grieving John Onyett, 76, was checking on a house he rented out to tragic Andrea when the Japanese akita pounced on him as he opened the cellar door.

The retired maths teacher, also a keen violinist, said: “I don’t remember a lot, only feeling like my arm was going to be ripped off and being in terrible pain.
...[snip]...
“Every time I moved my arm, the dog bit harder – the more frantic I got, the more excited the dog became.”

The crazed animal refused to let go until a neighbour hit it with a garden fork.

Mr Onyett needed extensive surgery for horrific bite wounds to his arms, hands and legs and feared he would miss his daughter’s funeral.

But after five days in hospital for treatment he was allowed out for Thursday’s service.
...[snip]...
The dog, which belonged to a man who had lived with her in Chapeltown, Leeds, was taken away by police and destroyed.
...[snip]...
Dog owners whose pets are out of control on private property can now be prosecuted after a recent law change.

But police said no arrests had been made.

Paramedics are called to 5,000 dog attacks a year in England and Wales – about 100 a week.
Full article and photographs here...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...c-bite-4066957

Poor man - losing his daughter at such a young age and then being bitten so badly by her partner's dog when he went to check on his own house.

Your comments and views:
Azz
Administrator
Male 

20-08-2014, 09:15 AM
"savaged by Japanese fighting dog"
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-08-2014, 09:28 AM
Typical Mirror headline/comment unfortunately, which is why I did not use it as a title.

As it was his house though, I wonder why he did not know that the dog was there? And I wonder how long the dog had been in the cellar.
Musher
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-08-2014, 01:57 AM
Again, if I were to choose a dog it would be chosen what it was bred for.
I think humans should have pass a battery of tests and apply for "Breed Specific" licensing

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top